Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games Series

It’s a short work week this week, which is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because, well, I only have to work three days and a curse because all short work weeks seem to last longer than a regular five day work week. Why is that? At any rate, it will be Thanksgiving tomorrow and I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to some good food and some good deals at the store on Friday.

Today’s post is a book review in case some of you are looking for a good book to buy a family member or two. Have any of you heard of The Hunger Games by Susanne Collins? Well, if not, today is your lucky day because I’m going to tell you all about it. It seems like a handful of people mentioned this book series to me over the past few months and I don’t know if it didn’t sink in or what because I never got around to ordering or borrowing these books from anyone. I think it was at the Rainbow Omega dinner when we were talking about books that Jan mentioned The Hunger Games. She had borrowed the book from her grandson, Dalton. I made a mental note and a week or two later ordered the set for myself.

A few days after my books arrived, I got an email from Jackie that said I must immediately go get the books and start reading them. She had borrowed them from Jan and started reading and basically couldn’t put it down. Jackie sent her email on Friday (11th) and on Sunday (13th) I started reading and pretty much didn’t stop reading for the rest of the week. I am now on the third book in the series which is taking me a little longer only because I got side tracked catching up on a TV show everyone is raving about. Jackie read the first book in one day, it took me three. She’s a faster reader and has some free time at her job to read whereas I only have 30 minutes to read while I’m at work and I’m addicted to television. I will say, though I let the DVR take over and didn’t watch as much TV as I normally do so that I could get more reading time in – that’s saying something, people!

I don’t know how Ms. Collins came up with her idea for the book but it is truly unlike anything I’ve ever read. In a way, I suppose you could compare the events in her book to the events that took place when gladiators performed in an arena and maybe that’s what originally gave her the idea; but there’s so much more to it than that.

The premise of the book is this: It’s the future and what was once known as North America is now known as Panem, a country divided into 13 districts. As a result of an uprising against the Capitol 74 years before, the districts send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to fight in The Hunger Games. The names of the children are placed in a bowl and one name is drawn at random. The names drawn are called tributes and they are thrown into an arena of unknown elements and must fight to the death until only one remains.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of drama in this book. You will turn every page with anticipation reading as fast as you can to find out what happens next. The story is told from the perspective of one of the tributes. Does she survive? Well, you will have to find out for yourself when you read the book. The characters are very relatable and well-developed and the story telling is so incredible you will be left wanting more.

Jackie mentioned that it has been a long time since she got this lost in a book before and I would have to agree. While I loved the Steig Larrson series, this trilogy was even better. I think I’ve mentioned before that I know I’m in love with a book when I dream about it and that was certainly the case with this series as well. I have dreamt about and thought about these books for more than what one would call normal. You’d think these things were actually going on right now and I was in the middle of it all.

The second book (Catching Fire) was just as wonderful as the first and as mentioned I am still reading the third (Mockingjay). These books are geared towards teenagers, but I seriously don’t know why because it was enough to make this grown gal cry and sigh and even get enraged at times. Seriously, go get these books for the book reader on your list or splurge and get them for yourself. They are so good and you will be glad you did!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I will have to check these out - so far, I've had great luck with your book recommendations :) Thanks for the review!

Erika said...

A co-worker's teenage daughter told me I should read these, and that I could borrow her books!
I'll have to take her up on that offer I suppose!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jackie said...

They are FANTASTIC!!! Call me as soon as you finish the 3rd one!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten the second and third one but read Hunger Games in anticipation of the movie. Jackie read it before I did but I couldn't put it down. I read it in two days and plan on getting the next one.
I'm glad you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had a great time and always enjoy time with Little Mickey.
Love you,
Jan

Mary McLaughlin said...

I first read The Hunger Games when Bo had to read it for extra credit. His teacher told me they were a little graphic and I should read it first to determine if Bo could read it. I could NOT put it down. Then, immediately went and bought the other 2 and read them, too! It will be interesting to see how the movie turns out!