Friday, July 5, 2013

A Rainy Fourth

As expected, it rained and rained and rained some more on the Fourth of July; but I've got to be honest, I really didn't mind it at all. I'm a fan of lazy rainy days. The rain came in waves, sometimes slow and steady and other times a heavy downpour. Rain is forecast for the next three days as well so everything should be lush and green in the coming days.

I spent the morning of the Fourth watching le Tour (of course) and I once again had French toast for breakfast. Thursday morning's batch finished off my French bread so no French toast for me today which is probably a good thing. Mostly it was just a supremely lazy morning as I didn't do much of anything in terms of productiveness.

Later in the day I made my infamous coleslaw and a peanut butter pie to take over to my parents' house for the cookout they were hosting. I had no idea how many people were going to be there and just made a little larger batch of coleslaw than normal in case there was a larger crowd.

The cookout started at 4:00 and about 20 minutes til I finally headed towards their house. I often forget that it takes longer than usual to get to their house these days because of the massive amount of road construction that blocks the road going to their house. So, I ended up getting there a few minutes late and being the last one to arrive which is highly unusual for me.

There were about 15 people at the cookout so the larger batch of coleslaw was a good decision. My dad cooked Khalua Pig (I'm probably spelling that wrong) and there was also potato salad, baked beans, bread, and a plethora of desserts, most of which contained coconut which was weird. I'm not a fan of coconut so I stuck with my peanut butter pie.

I stayed until about 7:00 and then came home and watched a movie, Looper, which was really good. I had heard good things about it but had never seen it until Thursday night.

So, it was a low-key and relaxing day which is really all a girl needs on her day off. The only bummer of the day was that I did not witness any fireworks. I could have driven down to the Space and Rocket Center but I don't think they held their fireworks show until late in the evening. Lots of people in the neighborhood were shooting off fireworks into the wee hours of the night, but I never ventured out to take a look. I'm sure the same thing will be taking place tonight so perhaps I'll enjoy the view from the front porch.

Hope your Fourth was relaxing and fun and filled with good friends, good family and good food!

No comments: