Tuesday, July 23, 2013

In Other Weekend News

I guess I'm going in reverse order as far as recapping the weekend is concerned, but hey, I've never claimed to be normal. For months and months I have had on my calendar the Friday night singing at Lincoln Church of Christ which took place this past Friday. I love singing some songs to the Lord, that is the truth, and I really enjoy the Friday night singings. Unfortunately, most of the ones that are in Huntsville take place in the fall, and well, the fall is football season which means my backside is going to be sitting on a bleacher in some stadium in this state. So, I like to attend as many as I can when it's not football season. 

Earlier in the week I had called my friend Janet to make sure she and her sister, Deborah, were going to be there. They usually attend and I wanted to make sure I would have someone to sit beside. When I arrived, I noticed Erika's momma was there and had a lot of empty seats beside her. So, I sat there and soon after Janet and Deborah joined me and then Erika arrived with a friend of hers. It was a row full of some of my favorite people. We enjoyed two hours of singing, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that, to me at least, most of the songs were slow. I guess I was hoping for some songs with a little more pep. Also, some of the leaders brought out some songs from the hymnal vault because I wasn't even remotely familiar with some of the songs we sang. I was also really hoping someone would lead "Lily of the Valley" and no one did. I mean, that seems like one that would be lead every time, but no, not on this particular night. Thankfully, the leader led it at church on Sunday night and I almost let out a yelp of glee. 

After the singing was over, we enjoyed some snack food. I quickly ate the few things I put on my plate so that I could get on home and watch the rest of the day's stage of the Tour de France. As I was gathering my things, I swung my giant purse over my shoulder just about the time Erika said, "watch out" and they next thing I know I had basically assaulted an old lady behind me, knocking her snack food to the floor. Erika and I cleaned it up and then I headed out and I would be lying if I didn't admit I chuckled to myself about knocking that lady's food out of her hands - not a mean laugh mind you, but it was a rather humorous situation. Admit it, you laughed too! 

Saturday morning I was up before 6:00 because my body does not even remotely know how to sleep late. I got a few "chores" done and then settled in for a morning of watching cycling on TV. It was the last day in the Alps and the next to the last day of the tour and seriously, now that the tour is over, I kind of don't know what to do with myself. I met Jackie for lunch at Zoe's which worked out nicely because I had a free entree there due to them leaving some things off of a recent to go order. We visited for a couple of hours as we had a lot to catch up on. Can you believe that was the first time we had seen each other this whole month? She has been at the beach and we have both been busy with this, that or the other. 

After lunch we perused the furniture at Nadeau and dreamed of bigger houses with funky furniture. I also found a copy of a new North Alabama magazine there and picked it up for my Aunt Linda because inside were two photos of my cousin, Alexandra serving up some Gelato and a hip downtown joint. Jackie and I soon parted ways and I did a whole lot of nothing while waiting on Sydney's arrival. 

Sunday I woke with a sore throat and spent a lot of the day shining a flashlight into my mouth and fearing that I had strep. I had a blister of some sort in the back of my mouth which was painful and turned me a wee bit paranoid that I would be spending the rest of the week on the couch. I took Lysine in the morning and the evening in hopes that it was just a fever blister of some sort and that the Lysine would help it to quickly dissipate. Thankfully, come Monday, the blister had, in fact, gone down quite a bit and visions of strep vanished from my mind. It's still a little painful, but nothing like it was on Sunday. Hopefully, a few more days of Lysine will do the trick. 

After Sydney left on Sunday, I watched the last stage of the tour and deeply regretted not traveling to France this year for what was undoubtedly the most fabulous ending to any tour in recent history. A night time finish in Paris followed by a stunning light show at the Arc de Triomphe - yeah, major regret.  I ended up dreaming about the tour all night long and I don't know if I got up and did some cycling in the middle of the night, but I woke Monday morning with a cramp in my right calf; strange, I know. I'm still having withdrawals from the tour as it feels weird to not have hours worth of cycling to watch when I get home in the evenings. Someone on Twitter described it as a Tour de France hangover, and honestly, I couldn't describe it any better myself.


Erika said...

I'm so glad you came to the singing! Mama and I loved hearing all of you sing.
I can't believe you haven't seen Jackie in a month!!

Jackie said...

So we glad we were able to meet up! We CANNOT go that long again without hanging out:-)