Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Farm Party

After getting all the yard work done on Friday night, as well as most of the laundry, I was able to get up bright and early Saturday morning and cook myself some bacon and French toast for the first stage of le Tour. I also needed bacon for a salad I was taking to a cookout at the Five Points Farm later that evening so I cooked two pounds. One of the packages was maple bacon and my house still smells like maple bacon and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also, my French toast turned out delightfully delicious - it was a great morning! 

I spent the afternoon doing some cleaning and napping and made a broccoli salad to take to the farm party that evening. My friends Jane and Joe (names have been changed to protect the innocent) were having a cookout at their house which was otherwise known as the farm party. Why, you may ask? Well, Jane and Joe live close by and in addition to their two dogs and one cat, they also have a goat, a sheep and three chickens which do in fact produce eggs. I think I overheard Jane say that everything but the sheep is legal per city ordinance. What the city has against sheep, I have no idea; and just in case you were wondering the cookout did not involve the cooking of any chickens, sheep or goats. 

I headed over to the home of J and J with salad in hand close to 5:30. Before the night was over there was probably 20 people or so there. Some people came late, others left early, all ate. We feasted on grilled burgers and hot dogs and in addition to my broccoli salad, there was also potato salad, pasta salad and all manner of chip and dip. 

Not long after arriving, Jane had some eggs to collect from the hen house and I went out with her to collect. I didn't actually go into the hen house, but I did see the eggs in the nest. I also petted the goat and of course the dogs. The sheep is a little skittish of people though, but after we ate the sheep was cornered so that one of our friends could hold it.

Jane also made a pinata and some of us donned the blindfold and took a whack at the paper machine box filled with sour candies. I actually got a couple of good smacks in and was quite proud of myself. After the pinata various yard games were played and there was also lots of good conversation, or "Girl Talk" as our group calls it. 

I called it a night close to 9:00 p.m. full of food and fellowship and well, farm life... in a round about sort of way. It was a really fun night and I was thankful to have the opportunity to spend such a nice evening with my friends at the Five Points Farm. 






No comments: