Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The 6th Annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run





Saturday I participated in the 6th annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run for breast cancer research. This was the first time I had participated in this particular 5K. I recruited Jackie to come along with me. The money raised from this event (over $170K this year) stays in Huntsville and helps to purchase equipment for breast cancer detection and treatment.


On Friday night, they had a spaghetti dinner catered by Carrabba’s – it was so good! I picked up my packet at Huntsville Middle School and didn’t intend on staying, but I figured, it’s free so why not, and I’m glad I did! Just thinking about it now makes me want some more!

Jackie came by the house and picked me up about 8:30 and we headed to Huntsville Middle for the start of the women’s 5K at 9:00. We had agreed we would walk and do some running in between the walking. Well, Jackie injured her foot on Friday night stepping on our friend Maria’s shoe and my left foot was hurting something awful (I think it’s planters fasciitis, it’s been bothering me for months) so we ended up walking all but about 100 yard of which we ran.

Around mile two, it started raining hard and by the end of the race, we were soaked. Thankfully neither of us has gotten sick as a result of being wet and cold. It was all for a good cause, and we had a good time. I took my camera along and here’s what I captured:





Jackie's tying her shoe before the start of the big race!





I'm ready to get started!





View of the finish line.
I think there are some men trying to finish up their race.






Over 4,500 people registered. The men's 5K was at 8:00 and the women's 5K was at 9:00; but there were a lot of men that walked or ran in the women's 5K which was confusing for me!




At the start of the race! It was cold!




There were people as far as you could see!




Even canines came along for the cause!




And a woman in an 80s jogging suit - her hair was very 80s also!




Approaching the finish line.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hey! I know that lady in the 80's jogging suit! Just kidding. You guys looked like you dressed for the weather unlike us morons at the pumpkin patch who froze our butts off! I didn't know you could walk in a run. If I had known that I would have participated starting years ago! Except last weekend cause we were at the pumpkin patch.

Candy said...

You look cute all bundled up! Wish we would have done the same at Tates. Cold as mess!

Jackie said...

The pictures look great! I especially love 80's lady!