Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Classical Mystery Tour And The HSO

Saturday evening, Tony and I went to the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra’s pop series concert, “Classical Mystery Tour.” If you’ve never been to the symphony, you should go. It is always a lot of fun. I love watching the different instruments being played and find it so fascinating how it sounds so powerful and so much more alive in person.

The “Classical Mystery Tour” is actually a group of four guys who dress up as and sing songs by The Beatles. They play guitars, piano and the Ringo plays drums, of course, while the symphony plays along with them. Tony and I are both huge Beatles fans and so when I won tickets to the symphony at work a few months ago, I knew this show was our only option.

When we first got there, we found our seats and I was sitting next to a man that had to have been in his 80s. I gathered (from eavesdropping) that he and his (I assume) wife were season ticket holders to the symphony. We also looked around and saw a guy we work with there; he was a couple of rows behind us. We gathered that he was there because it was a Beatles show because I doubt this particular guy would be into the symphony; but I could be wrong.

The set list for the evening was handed out as we took our seats and Tony was disappointed that some of his favorites weren’t on there. The Beatles recorded over 200 songs; so, it’s doubtful that these guys would get to everyone’s favorite song. When they first came out on stage, they were dressed in the black suits that The Beatles wore when they first hit the scene. The guy that portrayed Paul could easily pass as his twin; they look so similar and their mannerisms were very similar too. There were three empty seats in front of us and right before the show started, a man came in and sat down in front of me. He was wearing a hat and I wasn’t sure if he planned to take it off. Thankfully, he did. He kept looking around like he was waiting for someone, but must have given up on the mystery person’s arrival because he moved over a seat and was now in front of Tony. The next thing we knew he was answering his phone and proceeded to have a conversation – while the show was going on! I couldn’t believe it. If it had continued much longer, I would have asked him to leave; but he finally told the person to call back and leave a message. I really don’t understand people that do this. I’ve had this happen in the movie theater and other places and I just don’t understand. Can you really not stand to answer your phone? Why are you so rude and inconsiderate? Did your parents not teach you any manners?

After the first set, there was a 20 minute intermission and seized the opportunity for a bathroom break. Of course I had to stand in line for half of that time and listen to ladies tell their Beatles stories, which I really wasn’t interested in.

The second set started and Tony thought they really turned it up a notch. The second set was quite a bit better; plus, they had had a few technical difficulties during the first set. The cell phone talker man came back in and then left mid-way through the second set, never to be seen again. I’m not really sure what was going on with him, Maybe he was upset that he didn’t have a plus one.

After the second set, the guys received a standing ovation and then came out for an encore. They played “Hey Jude,” which is one of my favorites. When they asked the audience to sing along, I looked over at the older gentlemen next to me (remember in his 80s, easily) and he was singing along like it was nobody’s business. Then everyone ended up on their feet clapping and waving their hands in the air and Mr. 80s was doing it too. It cracked me up. The Beatles’ music spans and touches the heart and soul of multiple generations, which cannot be said of many entertainers.

This was a very good show and if it comes to Huntsville again, I will definitely consider going. We both liked Rain better – Rain is another Beatles show that is fantastic – but liked this show as well. My favorite songs of the night were “A Day In the Life” and “Hey Jude” and Tony liked “Golden Slumbers.” We both cracked up when “Ringo” sang “Good Night.” When he as whispering at the end, it was all I could do to control my laughter. The guys also changed into Sargent Pepper costumes as well as clothes from when The Beatles preformed in the 1970s, including John’s white suit. I would recommend this show to anyone who is a Beatles’ fan.

No comments: