Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Movie Review - Valentine's Day



This past Sunday, Erika and I went to see “Valentine’s Day.” Erika had won tickets for the movie and invited me to go along with her. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this film. I had heard mixed reviews about it and generally speaking when a film has a large ensemble cast, the movie tends to suffer. The only exception (in my opinion) being the Ocean’s films, which often tend to make me laugh, or drool, depending on who’s on the screen. A prime example of a film that had a large cast and I thought was terrible would be “He’s Just Not That Into You.” That movie had some potential, but was absolutely terrible; again, my opinion.


“Valentine’s Day”, is, of course, a romantic comedy. It is a heartwarming film about people, relationships, love and break-ups. The previews for the movie looked like it wouldn’t be half bad; but, again, with the large cast, I just wasn’t so sure. So, when Erika asked me to tag along with her I was more than happy to say yes so I could see what this film was all about.

There are many story lines in the film, a lot of which are intertwined with one another, but the movie was easy to follow, nonetheless. All of the acting was well done and it seemed as though most of the characters had equal screen time. Well, maybe Ashton Kutcher had a little more, but seriously, who’s going to complain about that? There were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments as well; and not just ones from the previews. In fact, I think my loud laughing may have run off one of the other two people in the theater. Either that or she just didn’t like the film. I would recommend this movie to any gal who is looking for a good pick-me-up chick-flick. It doesn’t require a lot of thinking, which is typical of chick-flicks, but also good when you just want to watch something light hearted. I don’t imagine this film will be out much longer; so, if you don’t have a chance to see it in the theater, check it out when it’s released on DVD later this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Girl,
I went to see Valentines day by myself last Monday afternoon. When I found out that Jackie was getting the kids-I thought I will never see that movie if I don't go now. I knew Timmers would care for a chick flick. I loved it why-I'm not sure. I think because love prevailed and it is a no brainer kind of movie. Not a lot of having to think over the reasoning part. I had so many people tell me it was stupid etc but I guess I'm in the minority I enjoyed it. I'm glad that you enjoyed it too.