Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wintzell's Oyster House: A Review

This is the week of reviews, I guess. Today’s review is of a restaurant, though, so, it’s a little different. Tony and I went to Wintzell’s Oyster House on Saturday before the symphony. We were looking to go somewhere new for a change of pace; so, Wintzell’s is what we decided on. I found this a little surprising since Tony isn’t much of a seafood eater; but, he likes fish occasionally and I guess he was up for a change of pace as well.

I don’t eat oysters. I don’t even know if I’ve ever tried them; I don’t think I have. So, in all honesty, if I tried them I might love them and never look back. My grandfather loves oysters and he and my grandmother have eaten at Wintzell’s three or four times since it opened in Huntsville and he loves the oysters there.

We arrived at 5:45 and were told there would be a 30 minute wait. So, we took our seats and looked over the menu and it also gave me an opportunity to interview Tony about our Harry experience from Thursday night. The wait took exactly 30 minutes; so, they are good at judging the wait time, or at least they were on this particular night. The place was packed too. We got there at just the right time because people started pouring in and the wait was up to an hour when we were seated at our table.

The show started at 7:30 p.m. and we were sat at our table at 6:15 and I was so nervous that we wouldn’t get our food and be finished eating and make it to the VBC on time. If you know me, then you know I hate being late. Even the thought of it makes me a wreck; but, Tony, he is always late and doesn’t really care that he is. So, he wasn’t sweating bullets; meanwhile, however, I was wringing my hands thinking about being the late person.

I had the fried shrimp platter (can’t beat fried seafood) and Tony had the blackened Tilapia. We both really enjoyed our dinner. The friend shrimp is apparently Wintzell’s own recipe and the breading had a spicy kick to it. It was really quite delicious. I had fries as my side item and they were also good. Sometimes fries can be blah, but these were crispy and salty, just the way I like them. The hushpuppies also had a kick to them and were quite good. I’m a tartar sauce lover, but am picky about the way it is made. The tartar sauce at Wintzell’s was exceptionally good. We both had salads with our meal, which were fresh and had homemade croutons, and were also served French bread with the salads which was buttered and grilled – also very good.

The service from Scott, our waiter, was great. Having been a waitress in the past, I am very particular about the type of service I receive when I am out. Scott did a great job. He was very prompt and polite and we got our food, ate and made it to the VBC with time to spare.

If you like seafood, then I would definitely recommend Wintzell’s Oyster House. The prices are more reasonable at lunch and little higher for dinner, but well worth it.

5 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

I'm glad your experience was better than ours. We went for Bud's birthday with my parents (and Bo). So, 5 people. I don't like seafood so I got a burger. Bo and my dad ordered the same thing. The servers only brought 1 meal for them! My burger was not that great and not the way I ordered it. Our waitress didn't come to check once we got our food. The manager had to get my dad's food and had to get us more drinks. The waitress finally brought us our check, which was wrong. Then she never came back so we could pay. We finally had to flag down the manager AGAIN to pay. Bud's food and mom's food was good.

Tony said...

I tried oysters once and didn't like them. They tasted gritty and it almost tasted like I had a mouthful of sand. I was told that I had a bad experience, which could be true. It just so happens that my first bad experience was almost my last

Anonymous said...

Ok we will have to try the restaurant. Where is it located? I haven't even heard of it.
We love seafood so it would be a nice change. Keep up the post I read them everytime I check my e-mails.
Love you,
Jan

Anonymous said...

It's on Wynn Drive between University and Holmes (the old Green Hills Grille location).

Candy said...

My In-laws have been wanting to go there since it opened. They love oysters. I tried it once - not a good experience. I didn't know you weren't suppose to chew them. It was horrible. I'll never put it in my mouth again.