Monday, March 1, 2010

Tony Stole My Harry Moment

This past Thursday, Tony and I went to the Harry Connick, Jr. concert. As I mentioned in my last post, I have loved Harry since I was 15 years old and I own all of his CDs. I would venture to say that if I had to choose one person’s music to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Harry. Yep, that’s how much I love him.

This story actually starts back on January 23 when the tickets for this show went on sale. I went down to the VBC an hour before the tickets went on sale to stand in line so that I could get a good seat. There was no way I was going to be stuck far away from Harry. So, I arrived at the VBC at 9:00 a.m. armed with a folding chair and a book and stood in line behind five other people who managed to get there before me. In fact, the first two people in line had been there since 6:00 a.m. When the ticket windows opened, my heart started pounding! I knew I was going to get an awesome seat! When it was my turn to go up to the window the lady said I’ve got two on the front row. I’ll take ‘em, I said, trying not to scream with excitement! I paid for the tickets and skipped out the door with a smile on my face and a song in my heart!

Finally the day arrived for the concert. I took half a day off from work so I could go home and nap in order not to be too tired for the show, which started at 8:00. Tony and I went to Mikato for dinner, which was awesome, as always, and then headed over to the VBC. We walked in to the concert hall only to discover that we were not on the front row, but on the fourth row! The fourth row! For a whole month I thought I would be on row number one, only to find out I had been duped my the ticket counter lady. Our row was “A” and maybe that’s why she thought it was the front row, but there were three rows in the orchestra pit and “AA” was actually row number one. To make matters worse, a man I work with, who was in line behind me was on the row in front of me! I couldn’t believe it! I also figure that some people bought their tickets on the internet and that’s how they got in front of me. But, we were close to the middle of row “A” and in fact the view was incredible and closer to the piano so we had a great view when Harry tickled the ivories, as they say.

Harry came on stage singing, “We Are In Love” which is from his album, We Are In Love, from 1990, a song that I really like, I might add. Oh it was wonderful! Have you ever seen Harry in concert? If not, you should. Not only does he sing like an angel, but he is also very witty and jokes around with the audience. He could have been a stand-up comedian if he wanted, he’s a natural. So, Harry joked around with the audience and sang some songs and the next thing we knew he had come to the far side of our row and got his picture taken with a gal named Lee Ann and he also autographed a CD and a DVD for her. How this all came about, I can’t even remember, that Lee Ann had a great plan I guess, Tony said it was genius. Harry went back to singing and playing the piano and joking with the audience. He even talked about American Idol and guess what? Harry is going to be on an episode later this season! I guess the contestants are going to sing some Harry songs. They won’t hold a candle to Harry, I assure you.

In addition to interacting with that sneaky Lee Ann, Harry also talked with a guy on the front row who wore a lot of Mardi Gras beads, including one that had what Harry called a shrunken head – he said it was scary, I would have to agree. The funny thing about this is that when I saw this guy come in, I asked Tony if that guy thought he was going to get Harry’s attention with those beads. Well, if that was his plan it worked! Why didn’t I think of that?! Harry talked to this guy throughout the show and at one point called the guy a stalker because the guy seemed to know way too much about Harry.

Midway through the set, Harry brought on Lucien Barbarin to play trombone and he was fabulous! They played “Little Mardi Gras” and a few other songs and danced around on stage together. It was hilarious and fun and made me want to get up and dance! If it wouldn’t’ have embarrassed Tony, I probably would have; instead I just got up and clapped.

A little while later, Harry closed the stage curtain and said he was going to have an intermission so folks could go get another drink from the bar. He said if folks were liquored up then he would sound like a genius. The bad thing was the bar was closed. The good thing was that Harry had a Q&A with the audience. He said he never does this, but who knows? I doubt anyone goes to every show; so can anyone really prove it? Here’s where the night got interesting. I interviewed Tony for this bit of the story:

Me: What did you think about Harry before the show?
Tony: Well, I didn’t know a lot of his songs, but I liked him. I knew his Christmas songs and I liked those and I was familiar with him from his movies, in particular, Copycat. I’ve never seen Hope Floats.
Me: WHAT?! You’ve never seen Hope Floats?
Tony: No
Side note – Tony is missing out, Hope Floats is one of my all time favorites! I know every line in that movie!
Me: What was your feeling heading into the show?
Tony: I didn’t know what to expect and thought it might be all slow romantic ballads.
Me: What have you got against romantic ballads?
Tony: Nothing against them, but extended periods can become quite monotonous.
Me: What did you think after the show started?
Tony: I thought he did a good job talking with the audience. He put on a good show; pretty darn good.
Me: Would you go back?
Tony: Yes
Me: Would you pay for the tickets?
Tony: Yes
Me: So, you think it was worth the money?
Tony: Yes

While Harry was having his Q&A, he sat down on the stage and answered some questions and then he started walking in the audience. The next thing I knew, he was walking down our aisle – coming from my right side. My heart started beating so fast I think it could have powered the electricity for all of Huntsville. My hands were sweaty and I quickly racked my brain. What could I ask Harry and three seconds later I knew the answer! I would ask him to sing "Tangerine". "Tangerine" is from Harry’s album 25 from 1992 and I have had this song stuck in my head since the middle of December. I sing it everyday. It’s always been one of the songs I liked best and I have no explanation as to why because clearly there are a lot more beautiful songs than this one; but I’ve often imagined myself singing alongside Harry on this number so maybe that’s way I’ve always loved it. So, Harry started getting closer and closer and if you looked closely at me you probably could have seen my heart beating out of my chest. The next thing I knew Harry was right in front of us – he could have stepped on my toes, but he didn’t. He shook the hands of the people next to Tony and then he shook Tony’s hand and Tony said, “you were great in Copycat” and Harry said, “Thanks bro” and as I was holding out my hand to shake Harry’s hand ask him to sing "Tangerine", someone behind me asked him a question. He stopped, talked for a bit and then horror of horrors went the other way!! I didn’t get to shake his hand or request my song. I was crushed! Tony had stolen my Harry moment! Back to the interview:

Me: When Harry started down our aisle, what were you thinking?
Tony: I started having doubts about whether or not that was him in Copycat. (This is true because he asked me, that was him in Copycat, wasn’t it?)
Me: How did you feel?
Tony: A little nervous
Me: What were you thinking when you shook his hand?
Tony: Well, going into the handshake my plan was to make the move (the handshake) and get him to stop so that you could make your move. Then the person behind us asked him something. The whole operation was compromised at that moment. They are to blame! He wasn’t even on their row; they should have kept their mouth shut.
Me: And when he started walking the other way, what did you think?
Tony: Son of a b****! I felt really bad. It was a bad way to end the show.

To be quite honest, if I was able to ask Harry something, I probably would have stuttered! I was so nervous! I have never been that nervous in my life. I wish ya’ll could have felt my heart beating. I could hear it in my ears, just pounding away! When Harry decided to go the other way, I got up for a bathroom break. I had had four or five glasses of water at dinner and just couldn’t hold it any longer. Harry sang two or three more songs to end the show and then it was over. On the way out I got to hold Tony’s hand that Harry shook so I guess I got some Harry germs. Tony said he hasn’t washed that hand, but I don’t believe it.

The show was so wonderful – his best one yet of the ones I have attended! I wish he would have sung all night! When we left, we saw people standing outside the busses waiting for Harry. If it hadn’t been cold and if I had had my camera with me, I would have lurked outside as well, but it was cold and I didn’t have my camera so I went back home and laughed about how Tony stole my Harry moment. At least we will have something to look back on and laugh about; and as Tony said, “At least he was really close to us; you could even see the stubble on his face.” It’s true, and what a handsome face it is.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey!!! Did we go see Hope Floats together in HSV? I love that movie, and I think it's the only movie that I recall nearly uncontrollable sobbing in the theater. Never knew you were such a Harry fan :)

Candy said...

Hahaha that was one of the best posts ever! You have such a way with words Nat! I'm thinking because Tony stole your Harry moment he can make it up to you by singing and playing "Tangerine". Don't ya think?

nat said...

I told Tony that he owed me a rendition of Tangerine, he has yet to sing it.