Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Recap

I hope everyone had a fun and relaxing Memorial Day yesterday. I didn’t do much of anything, and didn’t even go fishing as mentioned in my Happy Memorial Day post. My parents got back from Alaska at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and my dad said he needed to see where the fish were biting before we went out; also, I think he was tired from his trip. So, there was no fishing for us Parkers yesterday.

I set my alarm clock to get up early so I could ride my bike up Bankhead Parkway to Tollgate and watch the Cotton Row runners struggle up the big hill. Tony and I did that last year and I enjoyed it. When the clock went off though, I was feeling nothing but lazy and ended up moving from the bed to the couch instead of outside to my bike. Needless to say, I didn’t see the first runner. I spent most of the morning watching TV and dozing and finally about 10:30 I got up and mowed the grass. I had to take about five breaks in order to not die from a heat stroke. There’s no doubt about it, summer has arrived. We’re already in the upper 90s which doesn’t bode well for June, July or August.

After mowing the lawn and taking a shower, I made some coleslaw and deviled eggs before heading over to my parents’ house for an afternoon of hamburgers, hot dogs, and family. It was indeed just family since my parents had not been in town long and didn’t want to have a large group over. My dad and I got everything ready and he made a freezer of Butterfinger ice cream which was very sweet, but very good.

I went home a little before 7:00 and watched an episode or two of American Chopper before falling asleep on the couch just after 8:00. I woke up at 9:30 and watched about 30 minutes or so of TV before turning in for good. The impromptu nap didn’t hinder me from a night of sleep either. I think the sun must have drained me because I was more tired than usual, which is saying something for the queen of sleep.

So, that sums up my rather uneventful but yet fun Memorial Day. I’m back at work today, the first day of a four day work week. Why is it that the four day work week always seem longer than the five-day week?

1 comment:

Erika said...

I have a feeling my 3 day week is going to feel like an 8 day one!!! Oh well.
Sounds like you had a good, relaxing Memorial Day. Hopefully you and your dad can go fishing soon.