Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Here's What's Happening

We reached 102 degrees here in Huntsville on Monday. It would have been the perfect day for Cooking in the Car; but, alas, I was running slow on Monday morning and wasn't able to put anything together. Sadly, the forecast predicts highs in the 100s again on Friday so I will do my best to cook in the car on Friday and bring you the results next week. I've got quite a few items planned for this season of Cooking in the Car and I'm pretty excited about it.

In other news, I found Loretta Spencer on Twitter and became one of her followers and I'm happy to report she is following me now too. I feel like a celebrity! Thanks, Loretta, for making my day! I'm scheduled to start volunteering at Loretta's campaign office soon. I actually think I'm supposed to show up this Friday after work. I haven't heard the official word, but I think I'm unofficially supposed to be there. I need to find out for sure.

We are conducting inventory at work next week which actually isn't as bad as it sounds, or at least I don't think so. A lot of people complain about it, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I can wear jeans and tennis shoes every day and the only brain function I have need of is the ability to count. Pretty easy peasy if you ask me. Since I have a doctor's appointment for a physical on Monday, I may be called in on Sunday to help out for a couple of hours; that way I won't have to take any leave for the time I am out on Monday morning. I'm curious to know what hours I will have to come in on Sunday. Chances are I will have to miss my Sunday afternoon nap, but I'll be able to make it up on Wednesday when we have the day off for Independence Day. Am I the only one who finds it odd to have a Wednesday off instead of a Monday or Friday? I'm not complaining though. I'm looking forward to having the day off. If it weren't so darn hot I might even fire up the grill and cook myself up a little something.

On Monday night we had our monthly ladies' night out at church. I was the hostess this month and we had taco salad which was quite good if I do say so myself. I cooked 5.11 pounds of meat and every bit of it was eaten; and to think I was afraid that might be too much. Instead of playing a game or two like we normally do, we stuffed bears to send to an orphanage in Romania. A lady that attends church with my parents is going in December and she and the group she goes with are aiming to have around 3,000 of these bears to take with them. So, I decided we could help them out by stuffing a few. The stuffing party was a big hit. We ended up completing 160 bears in about 45 minutes. Everyone seemed to have a good time - all the ladies were talking and laughing and the piles of bears kept getting bigger and bigger. I think it was one of the funnest nights we have had. there were some bears left over and they were all taken home by various folks, including a 10-year old who came and wanted to take some home to work on. We will work on these again next month and I may try to schedule a Saturday or two this summer to work on these. I was really pleased with how well it went.

I'm sure you all are just as excited as I am to know that the 2012 edition of the world's greatest race, le Tour de France, begins this Saturday, June 30! I am thrilled beyond measure, but also a little dismayed to think that it has been a year since I was in France when it seriously seems like I was just there yesterday. Where does the time go? So, if you need me any during the month of July, you can most likely find me staring at my television with my mouth open and my heart beating fast, and perhaps even occasionally screaming, "Allez!" at the screen. I've never claimed to be normal. I also will not have a clue as to what is going on in the world until the wee hours of the night because I will steer clear of all manner of internet, social media, and news until after I have watched the day's stage. It's almost like living in the dark ages.

At the end of July the Olympics will come to us live from London. I saw Michael Phelps on the evening news last night and he had an extremely large and distracting mustache. I, for one, am not a fan. I am, however, looking forward to the games and have enjoyed watching the Olympic trails this past week to see who all will be representing our United States.

Well, I think that's all the completely random information I have stockpiled for you today. Come back tomorrow to read even more ramblings from the brain of Nat. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm looking forward to your cooking in the car adventures!! Stuffing bears for the orphanage is a very sweet thing to do - I'm sure the kids will love them!!

Erika said...

I hate I missed LNO - sounds like a really fun time! And I love the bear idea...
I don't think your inventory week sounds too bad either. And sometimes having a day off in the middle of the week is nice.
See you in August! haha