Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Music Review: Born and Raised by John Mayer



I've got a music review for you today, which probably makes no one happy because it's rare that anyone comments on a music review here at The Chronicles of Nat. I'm okay with that. I understand you may not like the same music as me or may not have yet listened to an album if you do like the artist and therefore have nothing to say. Listen, there's just not a lot going on in the life of Nat these days. It's the dog days of summer so to speak and I haven't been doing much other than going to work, going to the gym, and coming home. So, you are stuck with a music review. I hope you are okay with that and will stop back by on another day when the subject may be more to your liking.

I've been a John Mayer fan since his first album which feels like it came out 100 years ago but really it was only 2002. It was at the Conference USA softball tournament in Tampa while I was sitting in the press box that the announcer played a John Mayer song, I asked who it was and the next day he had a burned copy for me. Ah, to be young and pretty again. Anyway, since that few days in Tampa (which coincidentally was also the first time I ever ate at a Jason's Deli) I have been a fan of John Mayer's music and his guitar playing - he rocks, y'all!

I really couldn't say which of his albums is my favorite, but I can say I do not think it's this one; maybe because I don't yet have any memories tied to this particular album; whereas the others I do. The lyrics on this album are very meaningful and my word, it seems like dear John has really done a lot of soul searching and poured his findings out onto the music sheet. One song in particular, Shadow Days, which is the first release off of the album, he sings about being, "a good man, with a good heart," and you know what? I believe it! He speaks about the mistakes he has made and how he learned from them and if you can't relate to that then you must be perfect, or at the very least, not learning any lessons in life. I think this song might be my favorite off the album which seems a little cliche considering it's also the first release, but c'est la vie!
This album has a different sound than any of John's (yes, we are on a first name basis) other albums; but, then when you really think about it, each of his albums has a different sound as his music grows and his mind matures. This album has more of a folksy feel too it, which I happen to like quite a bit.

Sadly, John won't be touring any time soon as he is having some issues with his vocal cords and had surgery a few months ago but apparently the problem is back - I read all of that on Wikipedia; sadly, he didn't call to tell me about it. I did see him in concert when he came to Huntsville back in 2007. I went by myself - I had gotten a ticket for Christmas - which let me tell you was quite a lonely experience. Anyway, I won't wallow in self pity. This album is worth purchasing if you a John Mayer fan. If you had never heard of it, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as the first one you should listen to, but it is still good and admittedly, I've listen to it probably 10 times or more since purchasing it. I, however, will listen to an album until I'm sick of it and you may not be like that. If John's vocal problems don't clear up, this may, sadly, be the last album he ever sings on. I feat the thought!

Available on iTunes, Amazon, and wherever you pick up your music favorites!

1 comment:

Erika said...

As you know I am a country girl at heart, but I do like John Mayer. I'm just not much of a music person - at least I never really purchase music. But this album sounds like it has a lot of songs I can definitely relate to :)
P.S. I still think you are young and pretty :)