Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Movie Experience and Review - Snow White and The Huntsman



I haven't written a recap of the weekend because quite frankly there isn't much to write about. It was quiet and low-key and at times boring but I loved it. I managed to venture out Saturday afternoon for a showing of Snow White and The Huntsman and I'm so glad I did. It was a really great movie and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I went to the 4:00 showing and arrived at the theater about 3:45ish. I got my medium popcorn and found a seat. Thankfully no one sat beside me this time. In fact, for the second time in a row nothing crazy happened - no one hit me with a scarf or smacked their gum or kicked my chair. It was so lovely.

The movie is based on the Grimm Brother's fairy tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but this Snow White is unlike any you've ever seen. In other words, she doesn't stand by the well singing and wishing for her prince to come. She can take care of herself thank you very much. Now, I have never read the Grimm brothers version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs so I don't know how gruesome it is or isn't, but from what I've heard this darker version is more like the Grimm Brother's version than the beloved Disney version we saw as children, though both movies follow the same basic storyline.

As I'm sure you know by now, Snow White's mother, the queen, dies and soon after her father marries an evil woman who kills him and takes control of the kingdom. She holds Snow White prisoner for many years and one day, Snow White is able to escape. The evil queen then "hires" a huntsman to find Snow White who has fled to the evil forest and instead of killing her, he ends up helping her escape the queen's clutches. The remainder of the movie is spent watching Snow White and the huntsman get themselves into and out of a series of precarious situations. Yes, there are dwarfs - what Snow White rendition would be complete without the dwarfs? Yes, there is a scene with an apple where Snow White falls into a deep sleep. However, true love's kiss may be surprising to some. I figured it out because I'm cool like that. Will they eventually overthrow the queen? I'm sure you know, but if not, I'll let the movie be the story teller. I will say this, at the end, I was expecting and actually rooting for (so unlike me) a big sloppy kiss and it didn't come! Kudos to the director for that unpredictable surprise.

Overall, I thought the movie was really good. I was on the edge of my seat many times and the two hours and seven minutes went by really quickly for me. Charlize Theron does an amazing job as the evil queen - she is really believable and super evil! The Huntsman is played by the ever-handsome Chris Hemsworth who is also quite good and even if he wasn't he's nice to look at folks! My only problem was with Kristen Stewart because let's face it folks, will she ever be anyone but Bella? Um, no, I don't  think so. No matter how hard she tries to break free of being Bella, for me anyway, it's just not happening. she did a good job but she also brought a Bella-ness to the role. Seriously, she has the same facial expressions and movements in everything I've seen her in. I'm not sure she can play anything but the timid heroine lovesick type of person. The only difference here was that the man across from her (Hemsworth) is a lot hotter than Robert Pattinson. If anyone else has seen this, I'd like to know what you think in that regard - will Kristen Stweart ever be anyone but Bella in your eyes? Poor girl, I feel kind of bad for her.

I really liked the movie and would definitely watch it again; but I love fantasy movies and you may not. It had quite the medieval feel to it which I also really enjoy so those two elements together was a real hit in my book. Check it out this weekend if you have a chance.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Wasn't sure if I would like this, but after your review I think I will check it out - sounds like one I would like!

Jackie said...

Kristen Stewart does have same facial expressions in ALL her movies. The Runaways was the only movie I saw where she actually broke out of that a little. I really want to see this mainly because Hemsworth is HOT!!

Alison said...

I really enjoyed this movie also, but having never seen KS in any of the Twilight movies, she didn't bother me at all. And hey, she was pretty good in "Panic Room". :D