Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Two More Favorites

I have a couple of more favorites to share with you this week. These are new favorites and are likely to remain favorites for a while. One is a food product (no surprise there) and the other is a TV Show (probably no surprise there either).

Biscoff Spread - Have you ever heard of Biscoff cookies? I'm sure if you have ever flown on Delta Airlines then you have most assuredly heard of them, as they are one of the treats that is almost always available on the Delta flights. Other airlines may use them as well but I honestly cannot remember. Seems like I may have had them on US Airways before - at any rate, they are known as "The Airline Cookie". I remember the first time I saw Biscoff in stores and I was pretty fired up about it because I have always enjoyed the cookie but Biscoff wasn't always sold in stores. So, you had to take a flight somewhere to enjoy the deliciousness that was Biscoff. After seeing them in the store for the first time, Biscoff has on and off been a staple in my pantry. I don't always have it on hand because I don't want to grow tired of it, but at the same time, it is purchased on a pretty regular basis.

A while ago I had heard something about Biscoff spread and then a couple of weeks back, a blog I read mentioned Bisocff spread as one of the ingredients in a recipe. This past Saturday on my weekly Publix shopping trip, I was buying some peanut butter and noticed the Biscoff spread and got a little excited about it. I wasn't too excited about the price of almost $5 for just ____ ounces, but I decided to go ahead a splurge because you only live once (which has become our family motto as of late - I have no idea how that happened).

When I got home and unpacked the groceries and came across the spread, I immediately opened it, grabbed a spoon from the drawer and gave it a go - it was indeed just as wonderful as I hoped it would be. The spread tastes just like the cookies in a smooth creamy peanut butter type form. It comes in creamy (this is the one I got) and also a crunchy (not sure what it's like). The jar says it's good on apples, bagels, toast, etc. I prefer to eat it straight out of the jar. It is truly delicious.

Grimm - This TV show premiered in last fall and for whatever reason, I didn't watch it. A couple of weeks ago, the premier re-aired on NBC and so I recorded it to see if I would have any interest in adding it to my line-up. The first episode intrigued me and so I got online to watch the others. The first season had 22 episodes and I am here to say that I have already watched all 22 and am now anxiously awaiting the beginning of season two this fall.

The show is about detective Nick Burkhart who works for the Portland PD. In the first episode he discovers he is a Grimm, which is basically the dude who keeps order among the Wesin (pronounced Vesin). Wesin are humans who also have a mythological creature side to them. Nick encounters all kinds of crazy after his discovery. His partner at work, Hank and his girlfriend, Juliette have no idea that Nick is a Grimm which makes for many misunderstood and interesting scenarios. There is a more in-depth plot line that is carried out throughout all episodes in addition to the individual plot line of each episode. My favorite character is Monroe. He is a Wesin and becomes friends with Nick and helps Nick learn about the other creatures and also helps Nick solve some of the crimes.

I wouldn't say this is my all-time number one favorite show, but it is quite enjoyable and it has caused my heart to race and has also made me gasp out loud on more than one occasion. The dark undertones and constant suspense make it scary at times. I'm really looking forward to season two which will start in late August or early September. If you have some time, check it out on the NBC web site and watch the first season before the next one starts.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'll have to put Biscoff spread on my grocery list. I might try the crunchy if it has little pieces of cookie in it....yummy!

Alison said...

Biscoff is banned in our house. We bought the crunchy and ate the entire jar in three days. Of course there are three of us, but still...