Monday, June 25, 2012

The Summer Heat Has Arrived

I don't know about where the rest of you live, but here in Alabama, summer has definitely arrived. It was a scorcher this past weekend. I don't know what the high was each day, but it was definitely high 90s and felt close to 100. Thankfully, I did not have to mow the lawn this past weekend since we have had no rain and therefore the grass is not growing. Soon enough it will burn up completely I think. When I went to take the trash to the road last night I noticed all the flowers on the side of the house (hydrangeas, day lilies, etc.) were exceptionally droopy. I had been meaning to water them but this past week had not given it much thought. So, I drug the hose pie all the way around the house to help prevent them from dying. They all looked rejuvenated this morning, thank goodness.

Friday night I went to see Troy and Ashlyn perform in Blue Plate Broadway. Blue Plate Broadway is basically a week long drama camp and at the end of the week the students and counselors put on singing and dancing production. It's put on my While We Wait Productions out of New York City and headed up by Stephen Tyler Davis, whom I have known since he was in diapers. That's kind of weird. I've got to say for these kids to just have had one week to practice, they all did a really great job. Troy and Ashlyn each had a small line to say in the show and they both did a great job. The show was really enjoyable and lasted about two hours. I'm happy to report that although I did cough during the show it was not a constant cough and hopefully did not distract others from enjoying the show. The kids had two performances on Saturday as well, although I didn't go to those since it was the same show all three times. With any luck, this will inspire the kids to try out for some local plays because I think they would both be really great at it!

Saturday morning, The Tide and I headed out early to the dog wash. I had scheduled an 8:00 a.m. bath time for her so that I could get that out of the way before doing anything else. she is shedding her winter coat right now and my word I have never seen so much hair. I mean, I am beginning to winder if she is importing it in from other dogs just to make me a little crazy. The girl at the shop cut The Tide's nails, a job I hate doing myself, and then I gave her a good scrubbing and was able to rid her of a good chunk of loose hair. It was her first bath in three months so she was overdue.

When we got back home, I was overcome with the cleaning bug and decided to clean the baseboards and windows in my bedroom. I managed to get all the baseboards done as well as the door that leads outside. I started on the window behind my bed; I have the kind that pop out so they are supposed to be easy to clean. The bottom window didn't just pop over and out, it came completely out which freaked me out a wee bit as I thought I might now ever get it back in. After much consternation, I managed to get it back in place and decided I would put the window washing on hold until I could come up with a better plan - one that most likely will involve a ladder and cooler weather.

I cleaned the rest of the house and for the first time in I don't know how long completed every bit of laundry with the exception of what I was wearing, including many linens and blankets. It probably goes without saying that I napped and then made my weekly trip to Publix. Why is it when you don't seem to have much on your list is when you spend the most money. That makes no sense to me. It probably didn't help that I didn't really want to go to the store, which is odd, but I needed something other than canned foods to eat. That evening I finished watching the Showtime series Homeland. If you have not seen this show, please, I beg of you, do everything in your power to see it. Oh my word, is it good!

Sunday was nothing to write about, unless you count that I cooked five pounds of hamburger meat for taco salads for our church ladies' night out event for this evening. I almost forgot to mention that on Friday at the Blue Plate Broadway event on Friday I ran into a friend who had some Loretta Spencer signs in her car and so I snagged a couple from her and I braved the heat long enough to put one up in my yard on Saturday. Y'all know I love Loretta!

So, now we have arrived at Monday again and it's back to the grind. I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to having a day off from work, even if it is in the middle of the week. I don't have any plans for the Fourth and as of this moment am planning on being a lazy bum, that is, unless I decide to attempt some more window cleaning.

3 comments:

Kimberly Washer said...

How cool that Stephen does that. What a fun job!! I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous!! Glad you were able to get so much done this weekend! My baseboards need a good cleaning!!!

Erika said...

Feel free to stop by my house the next time the cleaning bug hits you!
It does feel good to have a clean house and all your laundry caught up, though.
Glad Troy and Ashlyn did well!

Jackie said...

After you get done at Erika's just come on over to mine! Glad you came to the kids show they LOVED doing it and can't wait to do it again next year!