Sunday, June 3, 2012

It Was Fun While It Lasted

I know you are just sitting on the edge of your seat wondering how things are going with my workouts at D1 and I'm here to tell you that it's going absolutely nowhere. Try not to be too disappointed. Actually, it's okay if you are because I am and misery loves company or something like that. I've tried to spare you all the details of my attempting to rehab my shin splits because a rotating routine of icing down my shins, wearing sexy compression sleeves and massaging BioFreeze on the sore area of my legs does not make for good reading material.

As you may recall, I bought the Groupon for one month of workouts at D1 and had every intention of going as many days as my schedule would allow. I had grand plans of five days a week workouts and looking super toned at the end of one month and then the shin splints came. I don't know why it is but every time I've been cursed with shin splints, it has taken a sweet forever for them to heal. The last time I had them I ended up at the orthopedic doctor because I was in so much pain I thought I might have a stress fracture. He prescribed what was basically a strong form of Advil and told to stay away from running for a month until they healed - advice I suppose I should be following now as well.

I tried to push through the pain in week two at D1 but it just wasn't possible. Each time I did a jumping jack and landed on my feet it was like electrical needles were pricking the front of my legs. Running was completely out of the question and running is what takes place about 50% and sometimes more of each session. So, while all the others were running drills and having a grand time, I was stuck on the sidelines on the elliptical watching - it was my own personal TO moment. (You know, TO, Terrell Owens - when he was injured and would be on the sidelines riding the stationary bicycle during the game? No, you have no idea what I'm talking about? OK, then, never mind).

I stayed away from physical activity the latter part of what was week two at D1 and then did the Cotton Row on the following Monday. Since I walked, I didn't have much pain in my shins and I iced them down afterwards and tucked my lower legs away in compression sleeves the rest of the day. I thought I would be okay to return to D1 on Thursday, the last day of May. I had ordered some new shoes (old shoes can be a contributing factor to shin splints) and had compression sleeves on and went outside for a practice run before I headed over to D1 to make a fool of myself and sit out another session. Much to my disappointment, the feeling of electrical needles pricking the front of my legs came charging back as soon as I took my first running step in the yard. I wanted to run in the yard since there is turf at D1 and the yard is more comparable to the turf than the road. I was crushed. It is obviously going to take much longer for my shins to heal than I expected and I was suddenly made aware of why I gave up running for the bicycle - I don't have to deal with injuries like this.

To top things off, I asked about what the price would be after my one month Groupon expires - it's $180 a month! Call me crazy, but that's a little steep. The girl I talked with said she could let me pay $160 a month - um, still steep. Look, I know a personal trainer runs around $50 an hour and in a sense you are getting the benefit of a personal trainer but in a group setting, which I happen to like better because all the focus isn't on me. When you break it down, it doesn't seem as bad. After all, if you went to four classes a week it would end up being around $10 a class each month, which isn't too bad, especially if you think of it like getting a $40 per hour discount on a personal trainer. If I made enough money to comfortably afford the $160 a month then I would absolutely do it; but I don't really have the privilege of spending that much money when I already have a membership at another gym. I think it would be well worth the cost and I would love to do it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense - especially when I think that if I set that money aside for just two months, I could buy a pair of duo boots that would actually zip up around my 19.5 inch calves! Yes, you read that right, 19.5 inches! Not to mention that if I stay injured half the time then it would be like throwing money away.

The gym I have been going to for the past few years actually has some group sessions that are similar to D1 but probably not as intense and definitely do not include running because there's no where to run. So, I think I will inquire as to the cost and might join one of those groups. In the meantime, I'll be returning to my normal routine of multiple spin classes each week and hopefully I will have enough discipline to add in some walking/jogging as well as some much needed core work. Needless to say, I'm disappointed that this little venture of mine did not go as planned; but, that's life. What's important is that I'm healthy despite having a large derriere (thanks a lot maternal DNA!). Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm sorry D1 didn't work out :(
Their rates seem SUPER expensive to me. Definitely just save for the boots :)
I hope your shins are better soon.

Alison said...

Running is out for me, too, since I have hip/sacroiliac joint problems and I had knee surgery when I was 18, but it still gets painful at times. I've been doing Zumba and spin classes since Feb. and they are perfect for me. I don't have anywhere like the pain I had running and as long as I take my Mobic and glucosamine, I'm doing great. If the bicycle works for you, stick to that! I hope your shins are better very soon. :)