Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Took A Sick Day

The blogging has been sporadic this week - I do apologize - and just when I thought there wasn't anything to write about today, I've managed to write over 1,000 words about nothing. That takes talent, my friends, sheer talent! I went to the doctor yesterday and took a sick day from work and just didn't much feel like writing. The diagnosis is bronchitis. This is the third time in a year - it seems to come around every six months. I'm not sure what's up with that. The doctor said that allergies and acid reflux in combination can cause bronchial spasms - who knew? I guess I'm out of luck for the remainder of my days.

I started out writing today with all intents and purposes of posting another book review; but, I'll save that for tomorrow or the next day and instead just ramble on aimlessly - that seems to be what I do best.

My day at home was rather uneventful. I went to the doctor for a 9:45 a.m. appointment and was out of the office a few minutes after 10:00. Sadly, I wasn't at the prime of my coughing while in the office. Does this happen to you as well? It seems like whatever the ailment is it disappears or lessens when you arrive at the doctor's office. Prior to going in to my appointment I was having some of the most violent coughing I have even had in my life. Then when I got to the doctor, not so much. Although he made comment about how much I was coughing and I said, "This is pretty good. You haven't heard anything."

After my appointment, I went to Target to pick up my prescription which had been sent in via eScripts (I have no idea if that's how it is spelled, but we are going with that for today), only to discover my prescriptions had not come down the electronic line. The pharmacist said it can sometimes take up to four hours to go through because they come in batches. So, I asked them to call me when it came in, bought some dog food and went home.

Around noon the pharmacy called and said they had received the prescriptions and it would take about an hour to fill. I told them there was no need to fill the Prednisone because I would not take it. It makes me hot, gain weight that I can never seem to take off, and also lie awake all night long with my eyes open so wide you would think they were about to pop out of my head. Not to mention the fact that this is my doctor's favorite drug to prescribe and you're not supposed to take it very often because of the side effects on your body. I think I'll pass. I went back to Target around 2:00 to pick up the drugs only to discover that the inhaler he prescribed was $50 with my insurance. I didn't get that either, which was disappointing, but $50 is a little steep for something I'm going to use just a few times. Plus, I have an inhaler from when I was sick with pneumonia back in the winter and so I am just using it until it runs out. That one, by the way, was only $25. Why couldn't he have prescribed that one? So, out of three prescriptions, I only got one, the antibiotic, which thankfully seems to be working as I am already feeling some better.

Other than my two jaunts to Target and the visit with the doctor, I didn't do much else. I did watch a lot of television - all shows or movies that I had stored up on my DVR for a rainy day. DirecTV had a free HBO, Showtime and Cinemax weekend the past couple of weeks and so I was able to record quite a few movies I had not seen. I was really looking forward to watching X-Men: First Class and when I started watching it, it was in Spanish. I thought I had accidentally changed the receiver to Spanish somehow but then I realized that I had recorded it from HBOL, which is HBO Latino! I mean, really, the Latinos now need their own HBO Channel? I was upset about it because out of all the movies I had recorded this is the one I wanted to see the most. Oh well.

I was glad I had a plethora of shows to watch from the DVR, because I am here to tell you, Daytime TV just isn't what it used to be. When I was in high school and college, I recorded soap operas and that was the highlight of my free time. Now, there's maybe one or two on. Of course, I had no interest in any of them because I wasn't familiar with the plots, etc and didn't even attempt to watch. Now, well, there' just not much to choose from. I should have done some reading, but I guess I couldn't get motivated to do that either. Anyway, that was my sick day at home in probably way more detail than you bargained for today.

In other news, and I don't think I mentioned this yet, I ordered a pair of DUO Boots from the UK. These are the boots that Erika discovered on the World Wide Web and you can order per your calf size. I ordered the next to the largest calf size (49 cm) and I'm here to tell you...they didn't fit. It was crushing. I felt like crying. The boots were sent back the next day. I think ordered a pair of stretch boots from Zappos to give those a try. They had a sweater backing with stretch and so I thought they might work. Wrong. Actually, they fit, I was able to get them on and up my large legs, but they were so tight I thought I might lose blood flow in my lower extremities - it would be the equivalent of preparing for an amputation. As badly as I would LOVE a new pair of boots, I would also like to be able to feel my legs and feet while walking. And so, the quest for a pair of boots continues. Wish me luck, dear friends.

2 comments:

Kimberly Washer said...

oh no that's really sad that you were sick and the boots didn't fit!! I remember going to that site and measuring my calfs. I was thinking I would need a very large size too, now I'm wondering if I should even bother. Hope you're feeling better today!!

Erika said...

I'm sorry you didn't feel well, but glad you are feeling a little better. I don't blame you for not taking the Prednisone.
I feel so bad about the boots :( I just knew when I found that website that they would fit :(