Monday, June 11, 2012

How I Paint My Toenails


Last Thursday night after I finished mowing the lawn and cleaned myself up, I decided to paint my toenails. I realize this isn't ground breaking news by any stretch of the imagination, but painting my toenails always makes me chuckle and also makes me think about my college roomie, Melissa who (I'm pretty sure it's you Melissa) laughs every time she thinks about me painting my toenails. So, I decided I would post about it and hopefully she and you will get a good laugh out of it. Have I peaked your curiosity yet?

You see, I don't paint my toenails like the average girl. I would assume the average girl tries to stay "inside the lines" if you will. In other words, the average girl probably does her very best to make sure the polish doesn't spill over to the skin/out of the nail bed. The average girl probably tries her very best to insure that the toenail looks perfect before calling it quits and putting the polish away for the night. I, however, am not your average girl.

I, you see, don't care if I stay "in the lines", if the polish spills over on to my skin or out of the nail bed. In fact, that's the key to my polished toenail success. I developed this method when I was in college, undoubtedly by accident, and have stuck with it ever since because I'm cool like that. When I paint my toenails, I do so with wild abandon. I polish on the nail and the surrounding skin, and if I get it on the skin around the nail, so be it, it's not that big of a deal. No, I don't go back and take it off with polish remover. What do I do, you may ask? I wear shoes and socks. Huh? Here's how it goes...

I paint my toenails and toes, first with a base cost and then a couple of coats of color. Then, I let it dry the rest of the evening. The next day, I wear socks and shoes, no sandals. My feet sweat quite a bit - I don't know if this is the key to polished toenail success or not, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I wear the socks and shoes throughout the course of the day after the toenail painting. Then, that evening, or the next morning, whenever it is that I pull off those socks, I am not kidding when I say all the polish that was on the skin has flaked off of the skin and the toenails look perfect. I am not even kidding. There may be a random flake or two you may have to get off yourself, but it will come off in the shower or bath when you wash your feet. Here, let me show you...


Before

Before

After

After

So you see, if you paint your nails outside the lines, it's really not that big of a deal because nature will take it's course and the dried polish will come off on it own. Clearly, this is not a good method if you are needing painted toenails to look good in a pair of sandals the same or the next day, but if you can plan a day of socks and shoes, then the night before is prime time for painting.

Now the next time you see my perfectly painted toenails, you too can have a chuckle. Happy painting!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Girl, you are cracking me up - yes, it is me who thinks this method is hilarious. And, no kidding, every time I paint my toenails - the average girl way - I think of your painting method. Thanks for the pictures...you have made my Monday! :)

Erika said...

LOL! I kind of do this too! It works for me as well. And, this way, you ensure that every piece of nail is coated with polish. I am a weirdo and can't stand to have one piece of nail peeking through without polish on it.
I paint mine at night, and then in the shower the next morning, the excess will usually come off with a waschcloth scrubbing.
ps - YOur toes look very nice!

Jackie said...

Haha Katie used to do this and I thought it was crazy but obviously it works!

Anonymous said...

Bingo. I am so tired of trying to make it perfect, it just comes out messy. So let messy have-at-it. Unless I can find a box like Olive Oyl used. LOL. Thanks for the post. Good idea.

Unknown said...

I've been doing it like this for years and it's always worked just fine my nails look great !! ���� ����
I don't usually get too much on my skin but I get a good bit and I just washed my hands rub it a little bit and extra comes off and my nails look perfect Glad to see I'm not the only weirdo ( to some people )

Anonymous said...

Aww, we are kindred spirits. Love that you've published this "secret" method buahahaha.