Monday, October 1, 2012

Let's Get Our Candy Corn On!

Last week both of Jackie's kids had birthdays; troy turned 10 and Ashlyn turned nine - time flies people! The kids had spend the night parties for a small group of friends - Troy had two friends spend the night on Friday and Ashlyn had two friends spend the night on Saturday. A lot of people told Jackie she was crazy for doing two parties in one weekend but I think it was pretty smart - at least she got it all over with in one shebang.

I headed over to Jackie's around 6:00 on Friday and first made a stop by my parents' house to drop some things off. I arrived at Troy's party around 6:30 or so and Troy and his friend Dalton were playing video games. they were waiting on one more friend, Brant, to arrive. Brant was coming from baseball practice and so was running a little late. While waiting on Brant, Troy opened his gift from me - jeans and a shirt - and was less than thrilled with the selection. Needless to say, boys aren't really into getting clothes as a gift when they are 10 years old. Finally Brant arrived and the boys settled in at the dinner table for pizza and cheese sticks.

After eating dinner, the boys had a competition of putting together miniature Lego sets that Jackie had bought. Troy, the Lego expert, finished first. After that, Troy opened his presents from his friends. He got a Lego set from Dalton and a Target gift card and a set of Nerf balls from Brant. Next up was birthday cake - Jackie got Troy's cake from Cakes, Etc. and as always it was delicious. It had a screen print of The Last Airbender Avatar something another - in other words, something with which I am not very familiar. We sang "Happy Birthday" and I attempted to get a photo of Troy blowing out his candles. I had to ask him to act it out for me because I missed the whole thing the first time around.







The boys played with light sabers and all the other gadgets in Troy's room. I heard Troy telling the other boys about putting together a gingerbread house. Jackie had bought a kit and was kind of hoping not to have to get it out but as soon as we heard him telling the others about it we knew it would be next up on the agenda. Next thing we knew Troy came running into the room and said, "Let's get our candy corn on" and it gave me quite the laugh. Jackie got the kit out and she and the boys got to work on putting it together.

It was about this time that I decided to go on home for the night. I had some things I wanted to get done around the house and wanted to go ahead and get started on that.

After I left, the boys finished up the gingerbread house, and then roasted marshmallows for s'mores around the fire pit. Jackie said they all went to bed around 11:00 (if I remember correctly. It was a fun night with some fun people and I think Troy enjoyed it too!

Putting together Lego sets

The boys and their finished Lego sets


Opening presents

 The finished Gingerbread House

4 comments:

Erika said...

Glad Troy had a good birthday party - those were some really fun ideas to keep them occupied. I would have no idea how to entertain 10 year old boys....
Can't believe those kids are getting so big....time does fly.
I'm off to investigate Cakes, Etc.!

Alison said...

I can't believe how big he has gotten! It sounds like a great birthday party, we did Nina's simple like that this year and I prefer it that way. :)

Margaret said...

ntsai like the fall gingerbread house. Glad everyone had a good time with the party. Not so over the top

Jackie said...

Thanks for the post! It was definitely a fun weekend! Thanks for coming over and thanks for their presents!