Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood

This past Sunday evening, my mom and I went to see the Fantasy Playhouse production of "The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood," and y'all it was quite hilarious. This past weekend was the opening weekend of the production and the season and they could not have started with a better show. Of all the Fantasy productions I have seen, this was hands down one of the best.

The show is, in fact, about Robin Hood, a story which I think we all know fairly well. However, this production added in quite a few modern day quips and just some general laughs as well. The play was perfectly cast as each person played their role superbly well. Each line was delivered in a timely manner and all the jokes were well timed. One of my favorite parts was when Robin Hood was thrown in jail and his punishment was to listen to "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" until he went insane. That gave me one of the biggest laughs of the night. Plus, I really love that song. All the kids were adorable, one of the little boys reminded me a bit of Justin as a child. Every time I see a little boy with glasses I think of Justin at that age. The merry men used wooden spoons as their weapons and that gave me a good laugh as well. In the end, Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham have a competition for the hand of the Maid Marian and as you would suspect, the play ends well for Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men.

Our tickets were originally for the 1:30 show, but since the church where my parents' attend were having lunch and then afternoon service right after the morning service, I changed the tickets to the 5:00 show. There were not very many people there at all and we were the only two people sitting on the floor. There was a couple, probably may parents' age, sitting over to our right and they were quite strange if my mom and I do say so ourselves. The lady laughed extremely loudly -and you know that's saying something coming from me, as I laugh loudly as well. Her laughs actually seemed forced though and there was more than one occasion where she was the only person in the playhouse laughing. At the end of the show when the actors were coming out to take a bow, she yelled at the top of her lungs. To be honest, I was kind of embarrassed for her because she was making quite a spectacle of herself and the focus shifted onto her from the actual performers. It was kind of strange, to say the least. We had a really fun time though and that's what matters.

The production continues this upcoming weekend with performances at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, and 1:30 and 5:00 on both Saturday and Sunday. All performances are the at the VBC Playhouse and the ticket price is $14. The performance lasts a little under two hours, with one intermission. You can order tickets online here or call the box office at 256-539-6829. Tickets are also currently on sale for their yearly production of A Christmas Carol, which is by far one of the best things to see in Huntsville at Christmas time. Those performances are December 7-9 and 13-16. So, go to their site and check it out and if you are able, buy a ticket and support these great community productions

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I am super excited to take the kids to see it this Sunday!! Thanks again for being awesome and buying us season tickets to Fantasy. You rock!!

Erika said...

Glad you and your mom had a good time! I need to check and see when I go to A Christmas Carol.