Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Weekend Didn’t Exactly Go As Planned

Overall, I would have to say I didn’t do too much this past weekend, and yet, it went by in the blink of an eye and I accomplished almost nothing I wanted to accomplish. C’est la vie, people, c’est la vie.

Friday night was Ashlyn’s dance recital and so, I, of course, planned to be there. That’s what “godmothers” do. FYI, Troy has started calling me his godmother and now my cousins are his godcousins and so it’s turned into this big hilarious thing for all of us. My friends Paul and Leah had also invited me over to crash their dinner party and so I stopped by their house for some delicious kabobs, rice and fresh fruit.
Jackie had me on standby because Ashlyn’s dance wasn’t until after intermission. She had originally told me to be there at 8:00 p.m. but text me later and told me not to come until 8:30. The recital was at Lee High School which is only about three miles from my house; so, I wasn’t worried about being late.

I arrived at the recital just as intermission began and quickly found Jackie’s parents and a seat. Ashlyn’s dance was the third dance in the second act so it wasn’t too long after arriving that I got to see her take the stage. She did a great job and looked like she was having a lot of fun, which is most important. After her dance we all met up in the lobby, gave her a big hug and parted ways. She headed off to camp and then rest of us went home.

Saturday morning I had planned to take Pip to the vet to get a weight and a heartworm medicine for the month and then wanted to go see a movie. However, there was a crisis at work and so I stayed home to monitor emails and phone calls and do what I could to help the situation. Finally, I decided it was safe to take a shower and leave the house.

I went to the hospital to visit my cousin Brittany and her newborn baby. This makes Sydney a bog sister and although I didn’t get to see The Syd, I did hear about how excited she is to have a baby brother. I’m sure she will be a great big sister.

After visiting with the cousins, I went to Publix and bought a few groceries to cover me for the remainder of the weekend and through the work week. I actually went to the one downtown because it was closer and more convenient and for the record, I still prefer the one on Whitesburg.

I unloaded the groceries and put them away and then hung out with The Pip for a while before heading out into the heat to mow the grass. It was rather tall this time around and so it took a little over an hour to get it all cut, bagged and looking good. I was glad to have it done for another week. The rest of the evening was spent taking care of laundry and doing a bit of cleaning and just generally being lazy.

On Sunday I went to church and then after class, Jackie and I met the kids as they embarked from the bus after returning from camp. We then grabbed some lunch at Mellow Mushroom and I headed home to take a “nap”. My Sunday afternoon naps haven’t been very nappish since The Pip has come to live with me. It’s more like a rest, if you can even call it that.

Sunday evening I went to church where my dad preaches because my friend Claudia and her parents Drue and Doyle were visiting and we had plans to socialize and eat dinner with my parents afterwards. Claudia is my parents’ age and her parents are, of course, older, but they all had a lot of people in common and it’s a wonder that they have all never met before. We got them all together to talk about a missionary in Fiji that my dad had met as a kid and ended up talking about that and a whole lot more.

I finally got home around 9:00 p.m. and had just enough time to take out the trash, wash my face, take care of another load of laundry and go to bed. It wasn’t the ideal weekend in that I didn’t get to cross everything off my list, but I suppose that happens from time to time.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Thanks again for coming to Ashlyn's recital and for being an all around awesome friend who never fails to show up for my kids. You rock!