Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday Movie Review - Paper Heart


It was a rainy and cold weekend here in Huntsville; so, Tony and I rented a couple of movies. We only watched one because honestly, I don’t think he was too keen on the other one (Amelia). I’m going to watch it solo tonight.


The one we did watch was Paper Heart starring Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera. It’s a hybrid-documentary because it contains both fact and fiction in the film. The short of the story is that Charlyne doesn’t believe in love and so she goes across the country interviewing all sorts of people from young children on a playground to bikers in a bar and asks them about their opinions on love – does love exist, how do you know when it’s love, what is love, etc. While on her cross-country adventure, she meets Michael Cera (they both play themselves in the film) and they develop a really close relationship and begin dating. Does Charlyne find love? Well, you’ll have to watch it for yourself to find out.

This film had a lot of funny parts in it I thought; but then again, I really like these independent type films. I honestly didn’t know if the story between Cera and Yi was factually being portrayed on the screen and had to look it up this morning. It appears that it was rumored that the two had a relationship and therefore it was incorporated into the film. I thought the film was really light hearted and sweet and definitely a nice change of pace from the mega blockbusters of today. I remember seeing the previews for this film (although it never came to Huntsville) and thinking to myself that I wanted to see it. I’m glad I remembered it when I was at the video store this weekend. Go rent it – it will do your heart some good.

Tony's take: pretty good

No comments: