Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My New Table

I have a new table and it was made by my dad! My dad’s friend, Buddy, does woodworking and somehow it came about that my dad decided he wanted to make a table for my mom for Valentine’s Day, with Buddy’s help, of course. The table was going to be on casters and be designed so that it would fit over my mom’s wheelchair so that she could use it with the computer or use it to chop vegetables in the kitchen, etc. So, my dad started going over to Buddy’s about once a week or so to work on my mom’s table.


Well, one Saturday back in January, I was at my parents’ house and Buddy and his wife June came over with the table to see if the dimensions were going to be right for my mom. Well, as luck would have it, they weren’t. The table top was the right size, but the legs were too long and the skirt was too long and so they decided they would start over and that’s how it came about that I got a handmade table too.

My kitchen is small by today’s standards and sometimes I run out of counter space when I’m cooking and I’ll have three TV trays randomly placed around the kitchen to hold different pots or pans or ingredients. So, I have been looking forward to receiving the finished product so I could put it to use. The table was finally ready over the weekend and I went over to pick it up on Sunday afternoon. The only problem was it wouldn’t fit in the car. So, my dad was kind enough to bring it over to my house yesterday afternoon so that I could have it for the American Idol party last night.

My table is stained with a red a tint and also has casters so I can roll it around the kitchen or roll it into the laundry room to fold clothes; basically, I can roll it anywhere and use it for anything. Last night I served taco salad for dinner and I was able to put all the taco salad ingredients on the table, which made it very convenient for everyone.

It really turned out quite lovely, and I think Buddy’s wife wanted to keep it for herself. I’m so thankful to have it; not only because it provides me extra space, but mainly because it was made by my dad and I’ll always have a reminder of him when I’m slinging pots and pans around the kitchen. Here are some photos:


 
 
 









3 comments:

Candy said...

The table was a wonderful host last night holding all our toppings for our salad. Thank you table!

Mary McLaughlin said...

Your dad rocks! He can make me furniture any time.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful now we know your Dad can make some money making tables. What a great idea for extra room to put things on and I love the rolling around too. Tell him he did an outstanding job. He told me about making a table for you and Debbie. But now I see the finished product.
I'm sure the food was great you are a good cook.
Love you, girl,
Janice Bell