Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Movie Review - Lars and the Real Girl



Lars and the Real Girl came to theaters in October 2007. I remember I had wanted to see it, but for one reason or another I never got around to it… until this past Friday afternoon. If you have Showtime, then check your listings because Lars and the Real Girl is probably playing. I had recorded this movie a week or so ago and finally found some time to watch it and I was not disappointed.


The movie stars Ryan Gosling as Lars, along with Paul Schneider as Gus (Lars’ brother) and Emily Mortimer as Karin (Gus’ wife). Ryan Gosling did an AMAZING job as Lars, a socially inept man who develops a “relationship” with an anatomically-correct life-sized doll he ordered from the internet.

While the premise of the story is a little odd, I found the movie to be quite moving actually. I thought it showed the loving and kind nature of people, which cannot always be found in today’s society. I laughed and even cried at times throughout the film at the interesting situations these characters were in all because of a doll. This is definitely not your typical blockbuster movie, which was one of the reasons I loved it so much. As some of you may know, I tend to like movies that are often not the norm, and this was one of the better ones I have seen. I won’t give any more of the story away, but if you haven’t seen this one, check it out from your local rental store, Netflix or try to catch it on Showtime, it is definitely worth it.

No comments: