Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book Review: The Kitchen House




As I am sure many of you know, I LOVE to read. Unfortunately, there isn’t always time to do it because of the busy pace of life. Earlier this year, I reviewed Half Broke Horses on my blog and after I finished that book, I read the entire Percy Jackson series, which was fantastic (although no Harry Potter).

Currently I am reading The Kitchen House, this was an editor’s choice in my book club and the description seemed interesting and so I went ahead and bought it and started reading it a few days ago. I realize it is a little unorthodox to write a book review when you haven’t even finished reading the book; but, OH MY WORD! This book is so riveting! I cannot even put into words how good it is.

If I were able, I would have read it all day long and would have finished by now; but, life has gotten in the way and I’ve had to take breaks for things like work and sleep. The author is Kathleen Grissom, and this is her FIRST BOOK! I cannot get over how wonderful this book is to have been written by a first time author. If you only read one book of fiction this year, I implore you to make it this one. It is one of the best books I have read in years. I have laughed, smiled, cried and frowned throughout this book. Yesterday during my lunch break I was crying like a baby and had to stop reading.

The book is about a young girl who is orphaned and brought over to America on a ship from Ireland in the late 1700s. She is sent to live in the kitchen house on a tobacco plantation and grows up with the slaves there and considers them her own family. The plot is obviously a lot more detailed than this and the characters are so well defined it’s like you can actually see and hear them when you are reading.

I’ve just read something in the book that made me turn immediately to my computer and start writing this review because I just couldn’t believe how things were going and I had to share this amazing discovery with you all. Once I finish the book, I will let you know my final verdict, but I don’t think it’s going to be much different than it is now – this is a fabulous book and I think Oprah should pick it for her book club. Oprah, are you listening? Pick The Kitchen House, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I was trying to figure out what to read. Now I know. Will pick it up tonight. Also, you should email Oprah and tell her your suggestion. Maybe she will invite you to be on the show....and if she does, and you get to bring a guest....remember I suggested it!

Alison said...

I can't believe the library didn't have this book. Good grief! I'll have to track it down used.