Monday, April 19, 2010

Random Thoughts for Monday

It’s Monday and over half of April has passed us by, can you believe it? Time certainly does fly by, as they say. Since there’s not much really going on in my life, I decided to do a random thoughts post for today and catch you up on some things.

Daily Bible Reading – As I mentioned earlier this year, I set a goal for myself to be a daily Bible reader. I’ve never actually done it for a whole year, which is not something I should be admitting. At any rate, I’ve done really well with it this year. I’ve only missed three days. The first day I missed was my birthday; I guess I got caught up in the excitement of it all or something like that. Then I missed a day a couple of weeks ago because I had fallen asleep on the couch and didn’t wake up until after midnight, which is the next day; and then, shockingly, I missed a day over this past weekend because I simply forgot to do it. I had planned on it throughout the day and then just kept putting it off. So, three missed days out of 109 days in the year isn’t so bad.

The Gym – If you read this blog often, then you know I joined a gym here in town last month. The main reason I joined was to participate in the classes they had to offer. I figured it would help me get motivated to get more active and hopefully lose a few pounds. I am proud to say that I have been going four days a week and taking a class each of those times. So, each time I go, I’m there for at least an hour and sometimes longer. I’ve really enjoyed the classes. In fact, Tony asked me this past weekend how I was liking it and I said, “I love it.” He said he wasn’t expecting that strong of a response, but it’s true. I have really enjoyed going and hope I can stay motivated. I’ve steered away from the scales for a while so I don’t know if I’ve lost any weight yet, but hopefully I will soon enough.

The Neighbors – As long as I have lived in Five Points, I have not had neighbors in either of the houses next door to me. When looking at my house, the house the left was once owned by my great-aunt, sold to a not-so-nice couple who updated it and put it on the market. The house to the left is owned by a man who owns multiple houses in town but he had decided not to rent it because he was tired of dealing with tenants. Really, I think his mother had a special place in her heart for the house and didn’t want it rented. Well, the mother passed away in December and now the man has rented the house. So, four years and four months of having no neighbors, I now have neighbors.

To the right is Charlie, a single man, I’m guessing in his 60s, who I hear is recently divorced. He introduced himself to me and Tony over the weekend. He went to school at Alabama (positive) and seemed a little awkward when conversing with us. Last night when Tony and I got home from eating dinner, I could smell wood burning. Well, it turns out that Charlie was outside with this fire pit going strong, sipping on a glass of wine and puffing away on a stogie. He had no company but the cool night air. It was quite interesting. On Saturday night when he had introduced himself, he was starting a fire in the pit then too. I’m wondering if this is Charlie’s nightly ritual. I’ll keep you posted.

To the left is Tina, who I am told works at Duffy’s Deli. I’m not sure because I haven’t had a chance to ask her about it. She moved in over the weekend, with the majority of the big stuff being moved yesterday with the help of four hippie guys drinking beers. The odd thing about her is that she left a lot of the big items she moved yesterday either on the front porch or in the back yard overnight. They were still there this morning. I found this strange because I’m sure the morning dew isn’t good for furniture. I’m told Tina has a dog named Dudley. I sure hope The Tide gets along with Dudley. Time will only tell. I’ll keep you posted on this adventure as well.

The Garden – I still haven’t planted my garden yet. Last year I did it the first weekend in May so I’m telling myself I’m not too late yet. I’d like to do it next weekend, but I’m not sure it will be possible because of all that I’ve got going on. Tony has located a tiller (Thanks, Tony!) and I need his help and since he is volunteering at Panoply in the morning and I am going to a play in the afternoon, there may not be time this weekend and it may have to wait until the next weekend. But, once it’s planted I’ll let you know and keep you posted on the progress. I know you’re thrilled.

Books – I finished The Kitchen House on Friday. Excellent read. I raved about it here and am recommending it to anyone looking for a book to read. I found it to be exceptionally wonderful.

I think this about sums up the randomness for today. Hope everyone has a great Monday to start the week!

1 comment:

Candy said...

I can just picture Charlie with his glass and cigar poking away at a fire. I giggled at that. Maybe we will get to see him tomorrow night.