Sunday, April 22, 2012

Music, Laughter and a Fish Fry Too


It was a very busy weekend for me. I’m going to take a break from the vacation recap to tell about my weekend and then will return to the vacation recap tomorrow. I actually meant to do some blogging over the weekend, continuing the vacation recap, but I was so busy there wasn’t any time for writing. So, I’ll finish the vacation tales beginning tomorrow.

On Friday night, I met my parents for dinner at Wings and then we went to see Huntsville High’s production of Oklahoma. I have mentioned Huntsville High Theater on here before. This group does a phenomenal job in all of their performances and Friday night was no exception.

Oklahoma is one of my favorites. It has so many classic songs to sing along to and I have always enjoyed watching it. I don’t know about you, but I’ve always felt sorry for Judd. Anyway, I picked up our tickets on Thursday night so I could make sure they had a place for mother’s wheelchair. She ended up sitting in front of my dad and I and I think we all could see the stage well, I know I could. The show started at 7:30 and was over around 10:30. They did a great job as expected and I really enjoyed the performance.

On Saturday, I went to the gym and afterwards stopped by Belk. They were having a charity sale and someone from church gave me a ticket which included a $5 off coupon and even though I wasn’t in a shopping mood, I just couldn’t let that $5 not be used. So, I went and bought a gift for someone. I then made my weekly Publix run and am proud to say that I save $37 in coupons! Oh, yeah!

After the errand running I made a huge batch of coleslaw for the fish fry that was taking place at the church where my parents attend. Then I did some cleaning, cleaned myself up, picked up my mom and made a run by Mr. Donut before we headed to the fish fry. Y’all, Mr. Donut may be closing because from what we understand, they are not making a profit except on Saturdays and Sundays. So, if you love Mr. Donut, be sure and visit them frequently because us Parkers will be crushed if they leave town.

There were quite a few people at the fish fry and Jackie and Troy stopped by as well. It was the first time I had seen them since I got back in town. I was glad they stopped by. The fish was delicious and I wouldn’t mind having some more right now. The hushpuppies were also really good. Now I guess the fishermen will have to go out and restock.

After the fish fry I went by my Aunt Linda’s house and worked on my lesson for Bible Class and then we went to hear the comedian Michael Jr. at Grissom. My cousin Chris, Linda’s son, bought a row of tickets and they invited me to come along. The performance was a benefit for The Way which is a recovery program in town that is Christian based. The show actually had two other comedians perform before Michael, Jr. All three were funny, but Michael, Jr. was the funniest I think. It was refreshing to see a comedian that didn’t use swear words. Clean comedy is a rarity these days and it was really great to see this show. I did a lot of laughing and so did everyone else.

Sunday I went to church and then stopped by Star Market to pick up some Brown’s Farm strawberries. If you love strawberries, you must try the ones from Brown’s Farm! They are so good! I did some more cleaning, watched some hockey and that’s about it. Like I said, a very busy weekend. It was great to spend time with family and friends and I look forward to doing it again soon!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Wow - you were busy! That was a fun weekend!
p.s. Good work on the coupon savings ;)

Jackie said...

I wish I had some of that fish as well. It was really good!