Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blue Continues to Have Issues

As mentioned yesterday, I don't have much on the agenda right now and so it's any man's guess as to what kind of material will be here over the next little while. All I can promise is that I'll keep it clean and try to write at least something.


I was thinking last night about what I could write about since life has slowed down a wee bit and decided that one thing I could do was update you on my car, Blue. Poor Blue, that's really all you can say. My aunt rode with me a couple of weeks ago when we went to see Michael, Jr. at Grissom and asked me if my car would run without duct tape. I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no. Thankfully, I'm not easily embarrassed.

The latest list of Blue's ailments is a long one. First of all, she needs a good washing, which I would do if I had someone to sit in the backseat and hold up the window for me. It's times like these when a girl really needs her incarcerated brother to be living on the outside. Yes, Blue is having window problems again. I don't know if the Gran Prix model of car is prone to window problems or what, but this is the third of my four windows to have an issue staying up. The first time it was the back window on the passenger side and it was repaired such that it can no longer be rolled down. The second, as you may be aware was the front passenger window, which I had repaired to the tune of $125 back during the winter. Now, it's the back driver's side window that won't stay up and is only being held up by the strength of clear duct tape. So, at some point (or not) when I have an extra $125 lying around (probably won't be any time soon) I'll have it repaired. I would have this one done like the other back window where it just won't roll down any more, but The Tide rides in the backseat when I have to cart her some place or the other and I'm quite sure she would appreciate it if she had some fresh air. Dogs, after all, like to use their turbo noses when riding down the highway. Plus, and I'm probably the only weirdo that ever thinks of this, but what if my car was to run off a bridge and was submerged under water, I mean I would at least like the option of being able to roll down the window before the car plunges into the depth of the river or creek or whatever. Can I get an Amen?

Next, the windshield wiper on the passenger side doesn't work. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before. Thank the good Lord, the one on the driver's side does work, otherwise I would be up a creek. This problem can be temporarily corrected with a number 13 socket wrench which I do not have, but perhaps should consider procuring. Permanently, I would imagine it takes more than a #13 socket wrench, but I fear the price tag and therefore just carry on without the passenger side wiper.

The last time I had my oil changed, I was told my serpentine belt needed to be replaced to the tune of $99 (plus who knows how much tax and labor which is most likely not included in that $99 price tag). I'm always leery when the oil change place tells me I need something replaced because I know they are trying to drum up more business and make some money; but, at the same time, each time I get into the car to go somewhere, there is the thought in the back of my mind that I will end up stranded on the side of the road thanks to my not having replaced that serpentine belt. Thankfully I have roadside assistance through my insurance company and with any luck, I wouldn't be stranded for too long.

I know I've mentioned this before, but my gear shift is also duct taped and I wouldn't be going anywhere but a parking space if it wasn't. That's really all I have to say about that. Finally, I don't know if I've mentioned this one before or not, but because the key release is somehow stuck, I have to stick and ink pen in the steering wheel shaft to retrieve the keys from the ignition. Not just any ink pen, but specifically a BIC ink pen. Needless to say, I have two or three on hand at all times. This has been going on for a couple of years or more now and just comes as second nature when I turn the car off.

I think those are all the issues for now. I'm sure something else will come up soon, it never ceases to amaze me how many issues a car can have yet still drive rather well. I'm thankful to have Blue and really thankful to not have a car payment.Maybe one day I will break down and buy something newer, but today, is not that day.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I do have to agree....not having a car payment is wonderful. But man, you sure have to put up with a lot to not have one! Bless your heart!

Melissa said...

Sounds like blue is ready to hang in there as long as you'll keep her around. Yes, car payments stink.

Erika said...

Amen! ;)

Poor Blue - I didn't realize she had so many worries. I know nothing about fixing cars, but I will come get you if you are ever stranded!

Jackie said...

You need a new a car and I know just the man you need to ask for it! My poor Honda had similar issues as your car so I understand what you are going through. Also I would be glad to hold the window up in the back so you could wash it. Maybe we can have that little adventure Friday night when we go out. I am sure there will be plenty of laughs and I will wear my rain coat just in case I suck at holding it up:)