Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Music Review: Jason Mraz - Love is a Four-Letter Word



I've been a fan of Jason Mraz since probably 2002 when I was first introduced to his music by my lovely friend Dave from Staten Island. How are you, anyway, Dave? Do you stop be here from time to time? Haven't heard from you in a sweet forever. Anyway, moving on, this isn't a letter to Dave, it's a music review, or something of the sort. So, Jason Mraz, I've liked his music since around 2002 when he wasn't well known and all American women weren't swooning over him. To be honest I'm not swooning over him right now. I'm not digging his long hair. His looks much lovelier with trimmed locks in my opinion. Sorry - I'm really getting off subject today.

So, Jason (yes, we are on a first name basis) released a new album a few weeks ago and I've got to say, I think it is my favorite of his and it much better than the last album, which I also liked. This album has a bit of a different sound that you may be used to hearing from Mr. Mraz and is a lot different that his first albums, but I think we can chalk that up to his maturing and becoming and older and wiser and more soulful person. (I'm just assuming, don't we all get that way with age, or at least we should). I bought the bonus album off of iTunes which has 17 tracks (I think), which includes a few bonus tracks which are some of my favorite of the album. After you listen to it a couple of times, you will want to sing along with each track, well, I do anyway; but, I really like to sing. If you listen to the radio, you've probably heard the single, "I Won't Give Up", it was also sung on Glee last week. It's a really great song with nice lyrics and a very moving video if you happen to see it. It came with my iTunes download. Do they even show videos anymore? I don't watch the video channels like I did when I was younger.

I really like each song on the album and have listen to it probably 15 times or more since I downloaded it. I think it has become my favorite Mraz album as I love every song and on previous albums, there are a few songs I wouldn't mind skipping over. The bonus tracks as mentioned, are great. A couple of them are from live shows and I kid you not, I laughed out loud at work at some of the things he said on stage. Clearly, Mr. Mraz has a great sense of humor if he's anything like the live cuts on the bonus tracks. Listening to it made me want to find a show close by and go see it. Sadly, Jackie and I have already spent our concert budget for the year on other tickets (look out September 2012, we're coming for you!)

If you like pop rock, then you will probably like this album. I think it's one of the better albums that has come out recently and have no doubt it will stay on steady rotation on my music playlist.

No comments: