Thursday, May 10, 2012

Today We Were Appreciated

Yesterday at work we received an email that said in appreciation for our employees, popcorn would be available in the cafeteria on Thursday and Friday between 1:00 - 3:00. I told everyone that the popcorn must be expiring and they need to get rid of it because why else would they be giving us popcorn? We've never been appreciated before?

At any rate, about 1:30 I headed down to the cafeteria with a couple of other people to get my popcorn, because I wanted to feel appreciated. When we got there, the popcorn was about to be gone and a new batch needed to be popped and so the cafeteria manager came out and put some kernels in the popper and we stood waiting on it. A line formed behind us (I was the first in line) and I quickly felt like everyone was staring at me and blaming me for the lack of popcorn. They weren't, but being at the front of the line, it sure felt that way and then some of the guys starting asking me why there wasn't any popcorn. It actually became quite humorous because there were about 20 of us standing there staring at the popcorn machine. Think of all the money that was wasted in the 10 minutes or so we stood there waiting for a salty snack. Oh well, at least we were appreciated.

In other work related news, we found out today that instead of paper check stubs, we will now be receiving the electronically, which I think is great. I heard one person complain about it but she doesn't have internet at home, however she does have internet at work so I really don't know what the big deal is. I always end up with a drawer full of pay stubs and about once a year or so I will clean them out, but now I don't even have to worry with that because they will all be stored electronically and if I ever happen to need a copy (like to get a car loan for example) then all I have to do is pull them up online rather than dig through a drawer - sounds good to me!

This week the Broadway Theater League (BTL) announced the line-up for the 2012-13 season - I was not impressed. In fact, I might go so far as to say I was really disappointed. Look, I know Les Mis can't come every year (and that's a shame) but there have got to be some better traveling shows than the line-up they have come up with for this next season. Here's the line-up:

West Side Story - ok, it's a classic, and supposedly the most requested show in the 1012 survey, but it's been here at least twice before and it's not one that I would go see every time it comes to town.
Blue Man Group - this is the only show on the list that I might go see. I have wanted to see these guys perform for a while. I have heard it is a great show and I almost suggested we all go see it at Universal when we were there last month, but didn't want to pay for the ticket. So, I might go see this one, but in all honesty, this is not a Broadway show in my mind.
Spamalot - um, this one was just here four years ago and maybe even two or three years before that. I know I've seen it twice and don't care to see it again. I really don't even think it's that funny.
Chicago - I actually like Chicago a lot, so this one could be a possibility as well, Ill have to see what my cash flow is like when ticket buying time comes around
The Addams Family - This one is probably geared towards children and I had no idea there was an Addams Family musical so it might be worth checking out, but chances are, I won't.

They have a line-up of special shows this year too:

Jack Hanna's Into The Wild Live - Um, no thanks!
Elvis Lives - Not a big Elvis fan, although I did go to Graceland on my birthday one year
Garrison Keillor - this one might be okay, especially considering Mr. Keillor is dead and I'm wondering how he might make an appearance.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed. Why can't they bring in Wicked, or Mary Poppins or The Lion King, or Phantom or Les Mis? Please, I beg of you, a good show that hasn't been here before. Thanks for your understanding!

Reminder - come back this weekend and next week to read a book review and enter a giveaway contest - just in time for Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

gotta love feeling appreciated :) we have electronic paystubs at work, and i really like it - i don't like a drawer full of paper stubs either. Looking forward to another book review!!

Tony said...

You should have told the guy asking about the popcorn "It ain't nothing but a thang"!! And I agree the BTL lineup is somewhat lame. You should send Barry an email.

Mary McLaughlin said...

You crack me up! I would like to see the Blue Man group. And FYI Garrison Keillor isn't dead.

Erika said...

Ugh - not impressed with BTL's line up either. I guess that will money not leaving my pocket, though.