Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Movie Experience and Review: The Avengers



First of all, let me apologize for the crazy font situation around here. You may not even notice it, but it's driving me crazy and sometimes, no matter how many times I edit, I cannot make the font what it is supposed to be. If you happen to check the blog around the time I'm posting you may get three different fonts in the same post. It's crazy time around here! Thank you for letting me get that off my chest; now, on to the movie experience and review.

As mentioned yesterday, I finally had an opportunity to go and see The Avengers on Friday night. I had wanted to see it since it first came out, but time would not allow. I went to the 7:30 p.m. showing at Rave and arrived at the theater about 7:00 or maybe a few minutes later. I bought my ticket, made my way to the concession stand, procured a medium popcorn (which sounds super good right now), made a pit stop and quickly found a seat. Despite how early I was, the theater was quickly filling up, which was kind of surprising considering the movie had been out for two weeks. I sat in one of the side rows of four hoping against hope that no one would sit beside me.

About 7:20 I realized that if I didn't slow down on the popcorn there wouldn't be any left for the actual movie or even the preview and so I sat the bag down and used every ounce of self-control to not continue munching. With just one or two minutes to spare, a high school couple walked up the aisle and asked if anyone was sitting beside me; sadly, the answer was no and so the two love birds plopped down beside the old single lady. Thankfully, they did not make out during the movie. Other than this one occurrence, there really isn't much more to relay to you regarding the experience. For the first time in a long time there was no one coughing or hacking or hitting me with a scarf. It was like a modern movie miracle or something of the sort.

As for the movie, it was quite good. It lived up to its very hyped expectations. Everyone I know who has seen it loved it; in fact, some people I know have seen it twice. I don't know if I would see it again at the theater, but, that's only because it takes a very special movie for me to see more than one time on the big screen (think Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and most recently The Hunger Games). I would watch it again at home, probably even more than once.

The movie was packed with action from the very beginning. I can't say that my heart ever raced, but there were some very exciting scenes. Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark/Ironman was great as always. I love his sarcastic and dry sense of humor and it is abundant in this movie. In fact, humor in general is quite abundant throughout the movie. I laughed loudly many times, probably embarrassing the couple next to me. Of course, the plot isn't totally realistic considering I doubt seriously some evil guy from a far away world is going to some to earth and threaten civilization; but, on the flip side, it wasn't cheesy or stupid either. It was actually something that could be followed by young and old alike.

I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone looking for a cinema retreat this holiday weekend. There were people of all ages in the showing I went to - kids, teenagers, adults - and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Strangely enough I don't know of any summer blockbusters opening this holiday weekend so this one might be your best bet anyway. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I think I will go see this over the weekend - thank you for the review :)