Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I Survived Day One

Monday night I started my month of training at D1. I was nervous about how it would go, but was pleasantly surprised at how it turned out.

The class started at 6:00 and I arrived right at 6:00, maybe a couple of minutes after. I didn’t properly judge the traffic at that time of day and as a result, was running behind schedule. I signed the waiver form, which I didn’t even read, but it probably said something along the lines of I can’t sue them if I injure myself. Oddly enough, they didn’t even ask for an emergency contact.

I met up with the others on the field and since I was a little late, I had to jog around the field and then walk around the field to warm up; then I joined the others in sprints up and down the field. Then we did crunches and more sprints and running backwards and running with our knees up high – lots and lots of running. Then we switched out with another group who came on the field for running while we worked out with free weights. Now, I am not really good at working with free weights. I don’t really know how to properly use them and felt like a dope copying the others; but I guess I did okay. There was no one to show us what to do. The instructor was on the field with the other group and so we were left to our own devices. Speaking of the other group, a guy from church was also there. He has been going since July and said he really likes it.

After a while, we switched again and went back on the field for more sprinting, more crunches, and did I mention more running. After a while we switched up again and then at the end of class met up for more running, more crunches and some pushups to boot. Most of the others also used a night stick to beat on a bag for one minute at a time but as a newcomer, I wasn’t able to do that – maybe another time because I’m pretty sure I could let out some aggression on that bag!

The hour went by quickly. I guess being used to hour-long spin classes helped because it seemed like we were finished in no time and although I was tired and sweaty, I feel like I could have gone on for another 30 minutes or so.

Throughout the hour, I would periodically go drink from my water bottle which was sitting on a ledge. There was a man standing there and whenever I stopped to get a drink he would say, “looking good out there” or “good job.” Looking back on it, it cracks me up. At the end of class he asked if I got a good workout. I guess he was my own personal cheering section. Maybe he wanted to see the chunky girl succeed.

Afterwards, I came home, had some dinner, took some Aleve, drank a bunch of water and soaked in a bath of Epsom Salts, all in an effort to minimize tomorrow’s achiness. I’ll keep you posted on how that turns out.

It definitely wasn’t as bad as I anticipated it being. I might have been the slowest person out there, but at least I didn’t pass out or puke – although the thought crossed my mind a time or two. I’m heading back for more torture Tuesday night. I’ll let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Good job! Glad day one went well. Your side stories always crack me up!

Mary McLaughlin said...

Congrats on finishing Day 1. Keep up the good work. Maybe I will come by and cheer you on with the old guy!

Alison said...

I think all that running would do me in! Yay for you! :)

Erika said...

Good for you! I'm glad it went well.

Candy said...

"Looking good out there!"
That's really awesome. I hope you continue to do well.