Friday, January 22, 2010

I Survived The Great Tornado of 2010!

I sure didn’t expect to be writing a post about tornadoes today, but life is sometimes full of surprises. Yesterday after work, I ran a few errands, picking up prescriptions and groceries, etc. It started raining right after I left Publix. The rain drops were unusually large. At times I thought it might be hailing out because of the sound of the rain, but I didn’t see any hail while driving; only the large rain drops. When I got home, about 10 minutes after five it did start hailing, but only for a few seconds. I was able to get all my groceries in to the house and let The Tide outside.

I turned on the TV, let The Tide back in and started to put away the groceries. Then the tornado sirens started going off and I honestly didn’t think much about it because they go off often. I looked at the TV and regular programming was on; there wasn’t even a watch or warning posted on the screen. Then the lights started flickering, and I knew something was wrong because that almost never happens. I hurried to get the cold items into the refrigerator and then the power went completely out, and that’s when I heard it.

I opened the front door and heard the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life. I know you have probably heard people say, “it sounded like a freight train,” and they were not exaggerating. The noise was so loud as the tornado tossed and tore anything in it’s path including the utility transformers, which I heard looked like fireworks when they exploded. I managed to grab Tide by the collar and drag her into the bathroom along with my phone, and some blankets. I called my parents’ house. I was hysterical! I don’t get scared in storms. I think a lot of people in this area overreact a lot of times when it’s storming out, but last night I was truly terrified. I asked my mom if there was a tornado and she said it was at Chapman Mountain and I said, no, it is HERE!

I got in the bathtub and The Tide laid beside it and we waited for the storm to pass. Minutes later, someone came into the house. It was Tony. He lives close by and it had hit a house at the corner of his street. He had tried to call, but couldn’t get through and came to check on us – me and The Tide that is, or maybe just me. He said it was over and so The Tide and I emerged from the bathroom unscathed, just shook up.

The tornado hit just down the road from my house. There is a whole lot of damage. I tried to take some pictures last night, but with the power out, it was pitch black and the camera wouldn’t cooperate, even on the night setting. My house and Tony’s house were both okay. The tornado literally went right between our two houses. It did hit the house of our secretary’s daughter and many other houses as well.

I plan to go out this afternoon and take some photos to share with you all. My buddy Adam, who lives close to both Tony and I, took the photo below of the tornado. This particular shot looks like it could be parallel with my house. I’m sure this was about the time I was hiding in the bathtub. I’m so thankful that no one was seriously hurt and that Tony and I didn’t have any damage to our homes. We were very lucky!

Thanks to everyone who called or sent a text to check on me last night! My phone hasn’t had that much action, ever! I really appreciate you all thinking of me.



3 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

So thankful you are ok. Started to call you but figured everyone else was, too! And, you're right about the rain drops. I was driving to MA to get Bo and went under the storm clouds. The rain drops were huge and sounded like hail!

Candy said...

When I got your message last night I didn't even know that things were as bad as they were. I was in the WW meeting with Sara and we heard the sirens going off. Like you said they go off all the time so I didn't think much about it. I didn't even know we were suppose to have tornados last night. Glad you are all ok. It hit two streets behind my mom and dad's house. They are all ok too and no damage. So scary!

Melissa said...

How scary! I'm so glad you and The Tide are ok!