Thursday, January 28, 2010

Photography Class #4

My apologies for not updating this here blog yesterday. My DirecTV was knocked out because of the recent storms and I had to stay at home and wait for the repair person to arrive – he was scheduled to arrive between 8:00 a.m. and noon; he arrived at 2:40 p.m. But, at least I have TV again, which is nice and I got a free DVR upgrade, which is even nicer! I watched my first DVR recorded show last night. It was awesome.


So, on to the photography class update. This week’s class was Digital Photography One, and once again, we didn’t learn very much. I’ve got to tell you, I’ve been really disappointed in these classes. I would hate to think that I had actually paid for them. I’m glad they came free with my camera. No offense to Mr. Vaughn, who is a lovely man and very knowledgeable about photography. I guess I was just expecting a more detail oriented class about how to operate the camera and make fantastic pictures. I keep hoping it will come; but, now I’m not so sure. I think Candy has decided not to return to any more classes; but I plan to stick it out for the final two of this series.

So, here are some bullet points from this week’s class – some related to photography, most general observations and quirky facts:

• Mr. Vaughn and all the Wolf Camera employees wear all black. Tony dubbed Mr. Vaughn, “Farley Cash”.

• The best time to take photos at a wedding is at the reception; but, be sure and get something to eat first.

• Use exposure compensation when the picture is too light or too dark.

• The faster the motion of the subject, the faster the shutter speed should be.

• There was a lady at the photo kiosk when class started. She kept ordering photos and the screen was beeping and getting on our nerves. When she left, she knocked over some photo frames, etc. Lisa said she was Bull’s cousin; Bull being the lady with the metal camera case from class #2.

• Aperture wide = shallow depth of field and vice versa.

• In class #1, one of Mr. Vaughn’s doctor’s was present and said he was there for his wife. We think we found the doctor’s wife, now referred to as DW. Mr. Vaughn asked the lady on the front row if she had used her macro lens yet – she had not. The lens cost $500. We decided she has to be DW!

• Most digital cameras have a black and white setting.

• A picture of an owl popped up on the screen during class and as soon as it did, I hooted. Don’t ask me why. I guess I’ve been teaching toddlers at church too long.

• You need to give your photo “somewhere to go”.

I guess this about sums things up. Next week is Digital Photography Two and I may be the only one that shows up. I’m not sure if Lisa has made a decision yet about whether or not she plans to go. Tony will probably attend again. So, keep your fingers crossed and maybe one day soon I can pass some useful photography tips along to you.

And yes, the woman who took photos of the slides last week did it again this week.