Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year’s Resolutions?

Who out there makes New Year’s Resolutions? I have never really done this. From what I always hear on the news, only 6% of people that make resolutions actually follow through with them. I guess one of the reasons I don’t make resolutions is that I don’t want to set myself up for failure. Who knows?

This year is no different. I haven’t made any resolutions of losing 100 pounds or anything drastic like that. Often in life, however, I have set goals for myself. I feel like if I set a few obtainable goals, that I am more likely to accomplish those than to actually make a “resolution”.

So, having said that, the goal I have set for myself is to read the Bible in full this year. I have been attending church my whole life and this is something that I have never actually done – cover to cover per se. I’m sad to say that this goal actually came about by accident. And I’m seven sadder to say that I’ve got to give some credit to Tim Tebow – the one man in America I get sick of hearing about. You see, on January 1, Florida was playing Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl and Tim Tebow had scripture in his eye black as he always does; and I as I always do, I decided to look up the verse and read the message that young Tebow wanted to relay to all of America. Then, all of a sudden it hit me! Today is January 1 and if I start today I can be a daily Bible reader every day this year and I can read through the Bible.

A couple of years ago on my birthday, my parents got me a Daily Bible, which puts the Bible in chronological order by how it was written. It also has explanations of things that are going on during the time of the writing and helps break down the scripture for you. So, I grabbed up my Daily Bible and read the passage and explanations for January 1 and I am happy to say that I have done this so far every day this year. The Daily Bible provides a layout for reading through the Bible in one year and it puts the Bible into a new perspective. Check it out if you get a chance.

How about you? Have you set any goals for yourself this year? Let’s hear about them!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Nope - no resolutions for me either...pretty much for the same reason as you. Although I do think your goal is a great one!!! Happy New Year!!!!

Candy said...

Mine are:
#1 read the Bible every day. So far so good.
#2 be the best wife and Mom I can be and try not to sweat the small stuff - (house being spotless all the time, having a 4 course dinner on the table by the time Andrew gets home...etc)
#3 getting back in shape. Hard to do after having 2 kids in less than 2 years...lol