Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Local Orbit

Tony’s in a band called Local Orbit. He’s been in this band since he was in college and they play shows from time to time around town. This past Friday night, they played a gig at Olivia’s off of University Drive. I hadn’t been to a show in a while and they have some new songs Tony wanted me to hear so I decided to go. The problem with going to see them play is that they often don’t get started until midnight, which is way too late for me. Tony told me they were to start at 11:00 on Friday, so I got there a little bit before 11:00.
Well, as luck would have it, they didn’t start until right after midnight. Luckily I had stopped at Starbucks and gotten a venti Caramel Frappacino; so, the caffeine allowed me to stay awake long enough to take a few pictures. Here they are in all their glory:




Tony - he's the drummer!




Lead singer and lyricist, Anthony.




Bass player and all around crazy guy, Wes.




Guitar player and often silent, Josh.




Did I mention Tony is the drummer?

Local Orbit also has a crazy following of people. Honestly, it is the strangest most eclectic group of people I have ever encountered in all my life. Some of these folks are scary, but let me tell you, it makes for some really good people watching. If someone had been with me the other night, I probably would have laughed so hard I would have wet my pants. But, since I was solo, mostly I just sat there in shock and awe and occasionally had a chuckle to myself. Come to think of it, my Uncle Buddy said he would go hear Tony play some time. Maybe I should call him up. I know he would get a good chuckle out of these people!
These crazy kids are playing another show this coming Friday at Whiskey's on North Parkway. I have no idea what time they start, but if I had my guesses, I would guess midnight. I will probably be sleeping when they take the stage, but feel free to check them out, if you dare.

4 comments:

Candy said...

I've always had a thing for guys in bands =) haha. I would love to come people watch with you one night. Problem is I'm usually in bed by 10!

jackie said...

Was Michelle there? You know crazy girl that used to work at my office. If you want to go this Friday I might be able to swing it. I have Bunco at a neighbors but I could meet up with you after that.

Sara said...

I would love to go see them, but I am with Candy. Except I am usually in bed before that and a Starbuck's wouldn't help me!

Mary McLaughlin said...

Give me enough warning....for a nap....and I'm with you.