Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shaggy’s: A Review

A new restaurant recently opened in Huntsville – hardly a surprise, I know. It seems a new restaurant opens in Huntsville every week. This restaurant, Shaggy’s, is owned by David Martin, the mastermind behind Rosie’s Cantina, Steak-Out, and Blue Plate Café. Basically, anything this man touches turns to gold, which is why Tony “hates” him. Envious would probably be a better word.

Shaggy’s is located out in Research Park – it is sandwiched between the Target shopping center and Rhime Village Apartments, or whatever they are called these days. Shaggy’s serves burgers and tacos, an odd combination, but two of my favorite foods, nevertheless.

Last night before photography class (more on the later when I retrieve my notes from the car), Candy, Lisa and her husband Derek, and Tony and I (yes, Tony was able to get into this class!) went to Shaggy’s to give it a try. The décor is retro 1970s I suppose and there is a peace sign above the logo. So, I’m assuming they are at least trying to be retro 1970s.

Lisa, Derek and I had hamburgers. Lisa and I both had the small burger and Derek had a regular burger. The small burger was enough to fill you up, in my opinion and I think Lisa felt the same way. But, we are girls and maybe dudes need more burger; you’ll have to ask a dude. The burger was really good I thought, and the prices were rather reasonable. Tony had two chili dogs, which he said were good, but nothing spectacular and if it were up to him he’d just go to Mullins and get chili dogs from there instead. Candy had a chicken taco, which she said was spicy and good. It came with chips and salsa which she said tasted similar to Rosie’s. I agree, she let me have a taste. Along with the burgers and hot dogs came with mixed fries, which was a combination of regular French fries and sweet potato fries. Both seemed a little bland to me. Lisa thought the sweet potato fries needed a dipping sauce; neither had any seasoning. I prefer my fries to be salted when they come out of the fryer so that the salt will stick. I don’t even think the fries at Shaggy’s were salted at all. I had never had sweet potato fries before, and they were okay, but nothing to brag about, and also lacked flavor in my opinion. Derek tried one and didn’t like it and since Derek didn’t like it, Tony didn’t even bother.

Overall, the food was acceptable; but, if you want a burger – go to Five Guys. If you want chili dogs – go to Mullins. If you want tacos – Rosie’s is hard to beat. I don’t know how many people have tried it, but it wasn’t very crowded which surprised me since it just recently opened. If others feel like I do, then word must be getting out to spend your money elsewhere. I doubt Shaggy’s is a place we will be frequenting.

3 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

I didn't realize they were finally opened. They have been "opening" since before Christmas. It changed every week. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess we won't be eating at the new restaurant. I'm with you 5 Guys can't be beat.
Plus I love Rosie's.
Tim thinks David Martin has the golden touch too.
Thanks for the review.
Love,
Jan

Dana said...

Found your blog when I did a search for Shaggy's trying to find nutritional information. I'm sure you know, but the reason the salsa seemed so much like Rosie's--it's the same! The same guy started them both. I had the chicken wrap, sans cheese, tonight and LOVED every bite, even though I still don't know how many calories my gluttony cost me. I liked the mixed fries--I have found other sweet potato fries too sweet. I also like salty fries, and the cook tonight did a perfect job with that salt shaker because they were just like baby bear's everything-"just right".

Not sure who you are, but like what I've seen of the blog so far...Looks like you love Bama football and American Idol---I'm your newest fan. :D

Just read your post after Bama won the BCS title--brought tears to my eyes, too!! :D