Thursday, January 20, 2011

A New Twist On An Old Tradition

As I was driving in to work this morning, I was singing along with Lionel Richie and wondering what in the heck to blog about today. I have another Python Printables review to post but didn’t really want to put that up today and then it came to me – I need to write about the Parker Bowl Challenge. I had planned to write about this earlier, but then I let it slip my mind

Every year after the college football bowl games are announced, we Parkers, my dad, mom, brother and I make our picks as to who we think will win each of the bowl games and at the end of the bowl season, the person with the most correct picks earns bragging rights for the next year.

We have been doing this for I don’t know how long. When we first started, my dad put up a $25 gift card to Chili’s to give to the winner – then he won. The next year he put up another gift card and he won again. After about three years of this no gift cards were put up for the winner because my dad was the one who won all the time.

We obviously continued to pick our games each season for the grand prize of being the champion for a year. This year, I decided it was time we had a trophy for this annual tradition. So, I ordered a trophy with “Parker Bowl Challenge Reigning Champion” emblazoned on the front. I figured each year the winner could hold on to the trophy and then pass it on to the next winner or keep it for another year should they win again.

This year, my brother came out victorious and my dad finished in second place for the second year in a row (Tony won last year). I finished in third yet again – this seems to be my spot.

Last weekend when I went to do my laundry at my parents’ house, I took the newly acquired trophy with me. We all had plans to go to dinner together and I planned to give the trophy to Justin while at dinner. The dinner plans fell thru and Justin didn’t come back over to my parents’ house, so I left the trophy with them to give to Justin. I just hope he doesn’t lose it by the time next year’s challenge rolls around.

And so, without further ado, I present to you our new trophy for the Parker Bowl Challenge Reigning Champion. Maybe one year it will be in my possession, but I’m not holding my breath.

This picture was taken with my phone.
I thought I had my camera pictures with me, but I don't.
I ordered this trophy from K2 Trophies and Awards  in case you
are in need of ordering trophies any time soon.

4 comments:

Candy said...

haha that is hilarious! What a fun thing to do. You have to get his picture made with it so we can see how proud he is :) Hope you get to hold it next year! Good luck!

Alison said...

That's awesome! It's a totally fun idea. You should definitely take Justin's pic and post it! ;)

Erika said...

Haha! I love all the fun things y'all do as a family!

Kimberly Washer said...

That is great!!! I love that you had a trophy made!! I need to come up with something that our family does and have a trophy made because I love that idea. I can't think of anything right now...maybe we will have to start something new just for the trophy :).