Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Show Choir Outfits and a Movie Review of The Social Network


This past Saturday, Jackie and I had a girls night because, well, we needed it. She had some money left over on a gift card to Connor’s Steakhouse (you should go if you haven’t been!) and so we headed there for dinner before hitting the Carmike Cinema’s dollar movies.

As I was getting ready, I decided on a white long sleeve button up shirt and a black sweater vest with jeans as my attire for the night. While I was ironing my shirt, I thought to myself, “Wouldn’t it be funny if Jackie wears the same thing and she probably will because I haven’t worn this vest in forever.” A few minutes later, Jackie pulled up wearing, jeans, a white button up shirt and you guessed it a black vest. We laughed and I joked that we were going to be performing in a show choir later in the evening and this was our show choir outfit. Great minds think alike I guess. So, I changed clothes and we were on our way.

The remaining funds on the gift card didn’t cover all of dinner and so Jackie treated as my birthday gift – nothing like starting your birthday a week and a half early! We enjoyed steak and lobster bisque and salad and were stuffed by the time dinner was over.

Neither of us has been to the Carmike since it became the “dollar movies” and we were shocked to see that practically all of Huntsville was there. The place was packed and as Erika mentioned in her guest post, you should get there early if you are going on the weekend.

I splurged for the two dollars on the movie tickets and we were lucky enough to find seats towards the top of the stadium seating section in our theater. We had chosen to see The Social Network and although I am 100% against facebook and all the destruction it causes, I still wanted to see this movie – for one, I had heard great things about it, and for another, it won the Golden Globe for Best Picture.

Obviously, unless you have been living under a rock or in a coma, you know that “The Social Network” is a movie about how facebook came to be founded and all the corruption and nastiness that ensued as a result. Who knows if the story is really true or not? I, for one, am inclined to believe most of it probably is true. Some of the people involved in the story were consultants for the book on which the film is based and, while there are two sides to every story, I have no doubt this situation got nasty in real life.

I found this film to be extremely interesting and entertaining. The film runs for two hours and for me the time flew by. I thought I might have to get up and stop by the restroom during the film and the thought didn’t even cross my mind. I was zoned in for the whole movie and loved every minute of it.

The movie continues at the Carmike thru Thursday of this week. The show times for the weekend will be released later in the week so I’m not sure if it will be playing again this weekend or not. It will soon be released on DVD I’m sure so if you don’t have a chance to catch it at the Carmike, be sure and pick it up from RedBox, Netflix, OnDemand, or whatever else it is you kids use these days. It’s a great movie – you will not be disappointed.



1 comment:

Erika said...

That's hilarious that y'all picked out the same outfit!
I'm sure the story was pretty true - you know Facebook is evil! LOL!