Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rooftop Icicles

It’s still a winter wonderland around these parts. The ground remains covered in snow and sub-freezing temperatures have become the norm. I’m wearing my rain boots, which I guess could also be known as snow boots, in to work every day and changing into my tennis shoes when I get to my desk. Otherwise my feet would be cold and wet all day long and that would be no fun at all.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed all the icicles hanging from the house. Some of them are huge and would definitely do some damage if they fell and hit you in the head. I took some photos of them although I’m not so sure the pictures really do the icicles justice. Also, with my tin roof, the snow slides down and then kind of curves under. It’s really rather bizarre.

I knocked down the icicles that were dangling above the steps on my porch for fear that they would come crashing down on my head and knock me unconscious, which wouldn’t be a good thing, or at least I don’t think so.

If you’re out and about in the winter weather be careful out there and watch out for falling icicles!



The side of the house


Another view

And another




These icicles come halfway down this window.
Please ignore the dirty windowsill.

Front of the house.
See how the snow curves under as it melts off the roof?

Look out below!

2 comments:

Candy said...

"Those icicles have been known to kill people!" One of my favorite lines in the movie. We have some pretty big ones over here. I noticed that Mr. Sunshine is making them drip away - thank goodness!

Kimberly Washer said...

I think they are beautiful!! Yeah they can be scary around the porch area!