Monday, December 19, 2011

13 Going On 35

This past Saturday was quite an eventful day. No, I didn't spend it shopping as many of you probably did, but in fact, it was my dear friend Erika's 35th birthday party, and it was quite a lot of fun if I do say so myself.

Erika wanted to have a roller skating party for her birthday complete with 1980s themed music. Jackie and I were pretty excited and had grand plans of wearing leg warmers and side pony tails, although when push came to shove, neither of us went through with it. Erika has always wanted to have a birthday party at the roller rink with the roller rink all to her self (she's an only child and doesn't like to share!), and so Mamma Kay (Erika's Mamma) made her dream a reality for the big 3-5.

The party was from 2-5 and both Jackie and I arrived there a few minutes after 2:00. Surprisingly, or maybe not, we drove separately and arrived at the exact same time. When we walked in, Mamma Kay and Erika and some others were already out skating. Erika's college roommate was there with her husband and four children, and Erika's cousin and her husband and children were there as well as some other relatives of Erika's and her new man, Charles. Mostly the kids were skating. I wasn't feeling well not to mention my leg is finally on the mend and so I didn't plan to do any skating, but Jackie finally twisted my arm just enough that I got up to go get a pair of skates.

I skated around twice and then decided to give it a rest because I didn't have a good feeling about my leg, not to mention it was hurting a bit. So, Jackie told me to go over and request some New Kids on the Block and as I went to step up on to the carpet, I wiped out and fell backwards on my large behind. Thankfully there is a lot of cushioning back there! Thus ended my skating for the day. Jackie skated a bit more throughout our time there.

About 3:00, the pizza arrived. It was from Jet's Pizza which I had never had before. It was deep dish pizza and it was quite good. Mamma Kay made some birthday cake cupcakes and they were quite delicious! I'm not ashamed to admit I had two.

After lunch, there was more skating to do so Erika and Jackie headed out to the floor while I went to turn in my skates. When I tuned in my skates, The Bangles song, Walk Like An Egyptian was playing and the girl working there asked me, and I quote, "How do you walk like an Egyptian?" At which point I knew I was old; but, I graciously showed her how to do it and now she will be the coolest of all her friends. There was a guy there who was doing the music. He apparently grew up on 80s music and did a good job picking out some good songs. Except after my New Kids on the Block request and he started to play "Step by Step" and I yelled at him that that wasn't a good New Kids song and he needed to play Hangin' Tough. Yes, I yelled at the DJ. What can I say, "Step by Step" was crap - it was after the New Kids were awesome.

Erika had a blast at her birthday party. she drank a suicide with her lunch - I didn't know or remember what a suicide was - it's when you get a little of each of the drinks from the fountain - and she said it was the best birthday party she had ever had. You could definitely tell too. She had a smile on her face the whole day and looked like she was as happy as a 13 year old. It was a really fun time, I just wish I had felt like skating more.

Happy Birthday, sweet Erika! I hope we're friends for the next 35 years and more!

3 comments:

Erika said...

So glad you could come celebrate with me and my family!
It was really the most fun I have had in a LOOOONG time!
Having a rink to myself was everything I thought it would be and more!!!
p.s. Thanks for requesting the NKOTB - I didn't know that was you :)

Jackie said...

I had a blast & was not sore at all the next day which shocked me!

Candy said...

I have got to see pictures of this! Sounds awesome! Love New Kids! Just found my neon painters cap a few days ago when we cleaned out our garage. It was bought when the New Kids came to hsv back in the day. I waved that cap directly at Joe and I think he saw it :)