Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Tale of the Little Smokies

Last Thursday, as mentioned, I got together with some girlfriends for our annual Christmas party. I would have written about it that night but didn’t get home until close to 10:30 and was ready for bed at that point; so, I’m a little late in telling this tale.

I picked up Erika at 5:15ish so we could head over the mountain towards Jackie’s house. The plan was to first make a stop at my parents’ house to pick up my dad. My dad and I would then drop Erika off at Jackie’s house so that she and Jackie could warm up the little smokies I brought (we all brought a snack food). After dropping off Erika, my dad and I were going to pick up Blue, which had been at the repairman for the past few days getting the passenger side window repaired. The plan, however, went awry.

When we arrived at my parents’ house, my dad was MIA. He had been in Nashville that day, taking my granddad up to the doctor and had not yet arrived home. So, Erika and I visited with my mom while we waited on my dad to arrive. The party was slated to start at 6:30 and a few minutes after 6:00, I decided that Erika and I would drop off the little smokies at Jackie’s house and then she and I would go pick up Blue and then drop off my parents’ car after the party. Just as we were getting ready to go, my dad arrived. He was driving my grandparents’ car and it needed to be dropped off at their house (my granddad ended up staying in the hospital).

Erika and I got in my parent’s car, my dad in my grandparents; car and off we went. As I was trying to pull out onto the highway, I basically tried to kill Erika and me as I pulled out in front of a car I didn’t see. Poor Erika will probably never again ride with me. Luckily the car changed lanes to avoid hitting us. It was less than pleasant to say the least.

We finally made it to my grandparents’ house and my dad couldn’t remember the code to the alarm so we had to call my aunt to find out what it was. At this point, it was 6:25 and the party was five minutes from starting and the little smokies were still in the wrapper.

Once my grandparents’ car was securely in their garage, we headed towards Jackie’s house where we dropped off Erika and the little smokies. We went to retrieve Blue and I headed to Jackie’s and my dad headed home.

When I got to Jackie’s the little smokies were warm but no one else had yet arrived at our party. I guess everyone was having a difficult time getting there on time and funny enough, we all arrived at Jackie’s about he same time – 7:00p.m.

We had a wonderful time catching up and chatting the night away. We had a dish towel exchange and everyone brought the cutest towels. I ended up with some towels with snowmen on them that I have hung in my bathroom. It was great way to enjoy the Christmas season – spending it with good friends – you just can’t beat that!

2 comments:

Erika said...

So thankful I survived The Tale of the Little Smokies - haha!
I had so much fun at Jackie's house; so good to catch up with everyone.

Candy said...

I always have the best time with all you lovely Gals :)