Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

As is tradition, my parents hosted a Christmas Eve breakfast which began at 9:00 a.m. on Christmas Eve morning. I don’t know what year this little soiree started, but they’ve had it pretty much ever since I can remember.

My granddad Bill was in attendance as were lifelong friends Naaman and Cheryl (who brought yummy monkey bread); also there were some other friends of my parents’ and of course my parents and me. My dad cooked bacon, sausage, country ham, biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. It was a good meal and it makes me hungry just thinking about it. My stomach is growling right now at the thought of biscuits and gravy! Yum!

After the breakfast, I came home to begin cooking Christmas Eve dinner and also start on Christmas Day dinner. I had made two loaves of cornbread that morning before the breakfast and that afternoon I mixed up the dressing as well as coleslaw and made the potato soup we were going to have for dinner on Christmas Eve. I made some molasses cookies for our dessert. These are some of my most favorite cookies; they are so good!!

My parents and granddad Bill came over for dinner on Christmas Eve and after dinner, we headed out on the town to look at Christmas lights. My dad had mapped out a route of sorts for us and we hit a lot of the more popular Christmas lights displays in Huntsville. Some friends of ours live next door to one of the houses we went to see and our friends had a sign in their yard that said “Ditto” and pointed to the house with the lights. We laughed and laughed about that sign. It truly made the night.

I got back to my house a little after 9:00 or so and mixed up and baked a red velvet cake and also mixed up sausage balls. I finally got into bed about 11:00 but had a hard time sleeping in anticipation of Santa’s visit. It was a low-key yet enjoyable Christmas Eve.

2 comments:

Erika said...

That sounds like my kind of Christmas Eve :)
Glad you had fun!

Jackie said...

Ah the infamous Red Velvet Cake. Can't wait to read your post about Christmas night:)