Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Christmas Vacation

I’ve been on vacation this week, which has been a nice break from the day to day activities of work. Our plant shut down this week and so there’s not anything going on that I’m missing which is also nice because there won’t be a lot of missed work to catch up on when I go back on Tuesday, January 3.

On Monday, I went to the gym and had big plans to go to the grocery store, but decided to wait until later in the week because I wasn’t quite sure what all I needed yet. I did manage to stop by Wal-Mart and pick up some baking supplies which they had marked down as well as some red bows for my wreaths. I get new bows for the wreaths each year and so it’s always nice to get that half off. After coming home and showering, Willie and Jackie stopped by with Willie’s dog Zoey. Willie wanted a play date with The Tide even though I wasn’t quite sure about it because The Tide doesn’t really get along with other dogs. They stayed for about an hour or so and we were able to chat while Zoey slept in the chair with Jackie and The Tide stayed on the couch with me. The Tide wasn’t very thrilled with Zoey invading her territory but thankfully no blood was drawn.

Not long after they left, I got a wind of motivation and decided to finally start the kitchen project that has been in the work for months now. I painted the wall where my cabinets are a turquoise color. I got three coats on the bottom before calling it a night. On Tuesday morning, I painted the wall above the cabinets. That evening, my dad and I went to the Huntsville Times Classic and watched a couple of basketball games. When I got home, I decided the cabinets needed a new coat of paint and I started on that.

Wednesday morning I woke up not feeling too great. My stomach was upset; it had actually started not feeling so great on Tuesday night. I went on to the gym and when I got home finished painting the cabinets, all the while dealing with my upset stomach. About midday is when I started hugging the toilet for the rest of the day. Thankfully I had the foresight not to eat anything or it could have been a lot worse than it was. Some friends from church brought me some Gingerale after church on Wednesday night and it was such a blessing because when I am sick that is usually the one thing I want the most and there was no way I could have gone out and gotten it myself.

Today (Thursday) I have felt a lot better and have drank a lot of Gingerale and eaten a lot of Saltine Crackers. I also braved the waters and ate some rice and cream of chicken soup as well as some pineapple. So far, so good. I also managed to get the kitchen back in order. It’s always a sure sign that I’m feeling better when my out of order house is driving me bonkers. On Wednesday I didn’t care how out of order things were.

Friday I have big plans of putting away the Christmas decorations, taking a trip to the gym, visiting my brother, finally going to the grocery store and getting the house in order. I may also go to the movies to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It depends on how worn out I am by the time evening rolls around. Saturday I’ll be preparing for the New Year’s Eve dinner my dad and I are cooking for family and friends. So, hopefully I will be feeling much better the remainder of my vacation.

I hope you and your family have a happy and safe new year’s celebration!

The kitchen before


The kitchen after

5 comments:

Alison said...

Love the turquoise! It looks very pretty there. And pineapple? After feeling ill? You are a brave woman.

Jackie said...

I absolutely love the kitchen it looks great! I wish you would've let me know you started throwing up. I could've brought you that awesome broth type soup they have at I Love Sushi. I can't think of the name but you know what I am talking about. I hope the visit with your brother goes well.

Melissa said...

Your kitchen looks great!!! Glad you're feeling better! Stomach bugs are the worst...ugh!

Erika said...

Your kitchen looks fantastic! I love that pop of color!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am just now looking at your kitchen pics. It looks really good! Amazing what a pop of color can do. I love my turquoise kitchen!
Lisa