Monday, December 26, 2011

The Start of the Christmas Weekend

I certainly hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I sure did. I’ve spent most of today just resting and trying to recover from what I’m calling the Christmas hangover. I’ll begin a recap of the past few days and continue it over the next couple of days.

Friday night (Christmas Eve Eve) was the beginning of the Christmas weekend and I spent it with Jackie and her family. Before heading over there, I wanted to get some baking done in order to have some treats to pass out to folks over the next few days. I got home from work about 4:30 and managed to make a homemade batch of brownies, peanut butter fudge and caramel rice kripsy treats all before heading over to the Bells a little before 6:00.

When I arrived, we all gathered in the kitchen for a prayer and then began fixing our plates for dinner. Jan had made a pulled pork dish that was served over rice with salsa, queso, chips, etc. It was really quite good. She also made some bodacious brownies for dessert but by the time I was done with dinner there was no room for dessert. After we started eating, mine and Jackie’s friend Willie stopped by to spend some time with us as well. He lives in Colorado now and we only get to see him about once a year.

Jan’s birthday is this week so her girls got her some cupcakes from Gigi’s to celebrate since they all won’t be here this week on her actual birthday. She got some lovely framed photos of her family and a gift card from Chico’s.

After dinner and Jan’s min-birthday celebration, we got to the gift opening. Ashlyn opened first. I gave her a framed photo of her and two of her friends which was taken at her birthday party this year and also a Fancy Nancy Christmas book. Troy received a small Harry Potter Forbidden Forrest Lego set and a Griffyndor scarf. He jumped up and gave me a big hug when he opened it which reminded me of my brother when he was little. He would always jump up and give people big hugs after each gift he opened. I received the Alabama football door decoration I mentioned seeing a month or two ago. It is awesome and will be going up on the door in time for the National Championship game. Jackie, Tim and Jan opened their gifts and I think everyone liked what they got. Tim and Jan gave me a Vera Bradley purse and a gift card to Rave movie theater which I plan to make good use of this week while I’m on vacation. (I forgot to take my camera so no photos to share.)

Willie and I left around 8:30 so that the family could exchange gifts and enjoy their Christmas together. When I got home I bagged up all of the treats I had made earlier in the day so that I could give them out over the weekend. Then I went to bed to get some rest which didn’t turn out too well as I slept terribly on the 23rd and 24th. Guess I was excited about Santa coming to town.

It was a wonderful night as always. I certainly enjoy spending time with Jackie’s family as they are my extended family and each hold a special place in my heart. It was a great way to kick off the Christmas weekend.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Glad your holiday got off to a good start; hope it ended well too!

Jackie said...

I need to e-mail you the pics we took. It was a great evening!