Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Eve 2012

Well, hello there! Better late than never I suppose. I do apologize for not posting before now. I really have no excuse other than I am on vacation from work this week and have been lazy in my writing. So, let's catch up, shall we?

Christmas Eve began with our annual tradition of Christmas Eve breakfast. In years' past there has always been a large crowd, but this year, it was a small crowd of just 10. The breakfast was delicious as expected and the tenderloin my dad cooked was the best it has ever been. He has also discovered a biscuit recipe which has all of three ingredients - Bisquick, Sour Cream, and 7-Up. I was just as skeptical as you probably are right now, but I am here to testify that the biscuits were quite remarkable and very tasty!

After breakfast was complete and everyone parted ways, I came home for a few hours to do some cooking. I needed to mix up the dressing and make a couple of pies and also some red velvet brownies. I had made coleslaw when I first got up and had already taken it over to my parents' house. I also managed to get in a nap of about an hour.

I headed back over to my parents' house in the late afternoon to have Christmas and dinner with my maternal grandfather. We gave him our gifts and my parents received their gifts from him. My brother had gotten some shoes which he had been wearing for a while as his Christmas gift which just left me. My gift (although later discovered to be under the tree) could not be found. I was told, however, that it was a watch that I had asked for. Skipping ahead a bit - the watch was discovered later that evening and I opened it the next day only to discover that I didn't care for it. I had picked it out of the Fossil catalog and it was a lot larger than I expected it to be and I thought it looked like a man's watch. So, it is going to be returned and I will pick one out in person sometime soon I hope.

After we exchanged gifts, we ate dinner which was chili that my dad had prepared. It was quite good, especially for a cold night. My granddad left after dinner and then the four of us headed out to look at Christmas lights. I had mapped out a route for us to take and it turned out quite nicely if I do say so myself.
We ended the evening at the Tinsel Trail in downtown Huntsville which was very lovely. It was such a good idea to do the Tinsel Trail and I think everyone that has visited it has really enjoyed it.

I made it home from the evening around 9:00 at which time I mixed up some dough for our Christmas dinner rolls and then watched Meet Me In St. Louis which has become my favorite thing to do on Christmas Eve. It's a moment of peace in the midst of Christmas chaos and I just love it. I was so tired, however, that I ended up falling asleep during the movie and soon moved to the bed for a good night of rest before Christmas Day, You do, after all, need to be asleep in order for Santa to arrive.


Erika said...

Sounds like a good time. That's a bummer about your watch; one of the only downfalls of online shopping ;)

Melissa said...

Sounds like y'all had a fun time. I've seen the 7-up biscuit recipe but have not tried them yet. I think I'm motivated to try them now though. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Alison said...

How neat! I love to watch Meet Me in St. Louis for Christmas also!