Monday, December 17, 2012

I Had To Remember It's The Season of Giving

Friday night was our Sunday school class Christmas party. I attend the Young Professional (YP) class and there are probably 40-50 people in the class. About 20 or so people attended the party on Friday and it was such a fun night!

Earlier in the week, I had asked Justin if he would like to go and he said yes; since we were planning to play Dirty Santa, I picked up two $15 Rosie's gift cards as our gifts. The party started at 6:00 and was in Hampton Cove, so I picked Justin up about 5:45 and we headed that way. On the way, we listened to The Statler Brothers Christmas CD and laughed and sang and laughed some more at how bad my driving was. It's a sure sign you're getting old when it's difficult to see while driving at night. We passed quite a few houses that were well decorated and gave them one, two, or three honks depending on how much we liked them. Finally we arrived at the party in one piece and I told Justin he could drive when we left.

There were quite a few folks there when we arrived, including Jackie and her mom. Jan had prepared baked spaghetti for our dinner and Jackie had come early to help her mom and the hostesses' mom get things set up. In addition to the baked spaghetti, we also had broccoli and mashed potatoes (yes, I also thought mashed potatoes was kind of an odd choice) and garlic bread. The food was excellent! For dessert there were a couple of cookie cakes. I actually didn't eat any of those, but had a glass of what was supposed to be a coffee punch but really just tasted like chocolate milkshake.

After we ate, we played Dirty Santa and I had the "luck" of drawing the very last number. When we got towards the end of the game, there were two people (including myself) who had not had a turn, but only one gift left to open; so, we were short a gift. The other girl, we'll call her #24, had brought her daughter along to the party and the daughter played Dirty Santa with us. When I asked #24 if she had brought two gifts for her and her daughter she said no, only one and that was obviously where the disconnect was. Had she brought two gifts both her and her daughter could have played but since she only brought one gift and her daughter had played, she was out. Sadly, she did not comprehend this and she got up to open the last gift and I had to call her out on it. I felt kind of bad because she didn't understand, but hey, all's fair in love, war and Dirty Santa.

So, I stole one of the Rosie's cards, and that person stole her boyfriend's gift and then the boyfriend stole the Rosie's card back from me. This group plays different than my family and once a gift id with the third owner it could no longer be stolen. There were a few iTunes gift cards left to steal but quite honestly I didn't know what was open and felt under a lot of pressure and was extremely frustrated and just opened the last gift under the tree which was some sort of Mary Kay hand lotion. Now, I have more lotion at home than I know what to do with, plus I sell BeautiControl so Mary Kay lotion was about the last thing in the world I wanted or needed. I ended up giving the lotion to a girl who got a stupid gift that one of the boy's brought. Long story short, I brought two gifts (for me and Justin) and went home with nothing. Justin, however, scored a Starbucks gift card. He said he would buy me a cup of coffee - I will be holding him to that. He did offer to give it to me, but I just told him to keep it. I just had to keep reminding myself that it is, after all, the season of giving. One of the guys told me later that I looked visibly upset. I said, well, I was. Thankfully, Justin had warned everyone ahead of time that I am terrible at hiding my feelings and to be prepared because if I didn't like what I ended up with I would be letting everyone know.

After the game, we had a photo taken in front of the tree and chatted for a little while. Soon after we all parted ways. Justin drove back to my parents' house so he could be dropped off and then I drove myself home. First, however, we made a stop to fill my car up with gas because it was $2.97 a gallon at the Wal-Mart in Hampton Cove and I just couldn't pass that up since I knew it was a bit more expensive in South Huntsville where I usually fill up.

It was a really fun night, despite the fact that I went home empty handed.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Coffee punch sounds really interesting. How in the world did #24 not know the rules of the Dirty Santa game? I thought everyone understood that in order to participate you must bring a gift. There is a 1:1 ratio of people:gifts :) Sorry you went home empty handed...that's no fun :) At least the food and visiting sounded good.

Alison said...

I really don't like Dirty Santa. The last few times I've played it, I've ended up with something cool only to have it stolen. I'm usually number 3 or something. I'd rather just draw numbers. Sorry you didn't get anything!