Wednesday, September 4, 2013

At 77 I Abandoned Ship

Last Friday, I had nothing on the schedule, which really isn't all that unusual. I was really looking forward to the long Labor Day weekend primarily because I was hoping to be a lazy bum and catch up on sleep and work in some cleaning as well.

Saturday morning I got up early, as is always the case, and did a couple of loads of laundry and more or less napped on and off while watching College Game Day and also catching up on the DVR. I had large plans of staying in my pajamas all day and not leaving my house. It was a lofty goal.

The Alabama game was scheduled to start at 4:30 and so finally about 3:30, I managed to make it off the sofa and into the bathroom for a bath. Cleanliness is important, people. As soon as I got out of the bath, my dad called because his printer wasn't working and he needed me to print off his sermons for Sunday. While I was printing the sermons I thought that the house seemed warm but chalked it up to my being warm since I just finished a hot bath. When he came to pick up the sermons 20 minutes or so later I still wasn't cool, but again just figured I had not completely cooled off from my shower.

Finally, after my dad left and I started to think maybe I was delusional or at the very least feverish, I got up to check the thermostat and realized that it was 73 degrees in the house. Now, this may not seem very hot to some of you, but I keep my house at 68 degrees in the warmer months and 67 degrees in the cooler months and so to me, well, 73 degrees was warm, and it was getting warmer. What made it worse was that there was no breeze outside and it was probably the most humid day we have had all summer and so opening the windows provided no relief at all.

I called the AC repairman and left him a message, hoping he would get back with me on Sunday or Monday at the latest. I toughed it out for as long as I could and a little before 9:00 p.m., I called my parents and told them the situation and they invited me to stay at their house. I wasn't too keen on the idea as I was planning on staying at my own house and as mentioned being lazy all weekend; but, when the temperature inside the house reached 77 degrees I bailed. Not only was it hot in the house, but it was also so humid that when I mopped the floors they wouldn't dry and in fact were still not dry on Monday!

So, at 9:00 p.m., I loaded up Pippa and grabbed a few things to get me through the night as well as an outfit for church the next morning and we headed over to my parents who graciously hosted us for the next couple of days. So, a big thanks to them for putting up with me and Pippa and letting us crash on the sofa.

More to come...

No comments: