Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blogging With A Puppy



You know what’s difficult? Blogging with a puppy in the house, that’s what. Pippa can be perfectly content chewing on a toy or a rawhide and the minute I pick up the Kindle or the computer, she forgets all about the toy and starts attacking me and/or walking all over the keyboard or the Kindle. It’s every bit as awesome as you are imagining.

So, I ask for your patience as the blog posts may not be as frequent as they used to be or as I would like. It’s difficult to get anything churned out in the evening thanks to Pippa and writing at work just is not happening these days as I am so busy and some days barely have time to answer email. Not that I’m complaining, I’d much rather it be busy than slow. It makes the time pass by quicker and keeps the brain functioning…or something like that.

Speaking of Pippa, some things are getting better and some things are not. She is doing a lot better about not going potty in the house Over the weekend she only had a couple of accidents and the evenings are getting a lot better too – averaging about one to two a night instead of five or six. I would assume her bladder is getting bigger and she is (hopefully) also learning that going inside is not acceptable. I’ve heard that after dogs are fixed it is a lot better as far as the house breaking is concerned and also in regards to energy, but I’m not sure I believe it. Pippa will be fixed sometime in the fall, probably in the November time frame – I’m sure you’ve been wondering. 

She is also doing some better about sleeping at night. She more or less sleeps most of the night. The main issue is getting her to settle down when I first go to bed and then she sometimes gets rowdy again when I bring her back in from taking her out in the middle of the night. Sometimes I guess she wakes up when I don’t’ wake up and then wants to play. It’s during these times that I will find myself being awoken by a puppy running her claws through my hair or sometimes a puppy chewing on my hair. I’m not sure what the fascination with my hair is, but apparently there is one. Pippa also sometimes will be fascinated with the ponytail holder that is holding my hair back at night and will start pulling on it, so I will take it out and give it to her to keep her from clawing my head. Speaking of her love of my locks, I’m pretty sure she has stolen and hidden my hair brush as it is nowhere to be found and I’ve since had to buy a new one. I have no idea when she would have taken it though so this is the great mystery of 2013. 

The big problem still is that she loves to bite and claw and I have countless bruises and scratches on my arms and hands and few in other random places. I really don’t know what to do about this. The Tide was also a biter as a puppy and she was never broken of it so I’m not really sure what to do. Pippa’s bites hurts like the dickens and I’m here to tell you that the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion to bite her back, but biting a dog seems weird. So, if you have any tips, please pass them along as I am really tired of being bitten. 

So, I think it goes without saying that we are still adjusting. I miss having an old dog who loved to lay around as much as I did and I really miss being able to come home at night and watch TV without being jumped on, barked at, or bitten. I know I’ll be there again someday but at the moment, that day looks like it’s far, far away. 

 

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh Pippa!!! I bit my kids back but your right it does sound weird biting a dog back. Maybe put some tabasco on her tongue the next time she gets you really good. That might be considered cruel...I don't know:/

Erika said...

haha - this makes me glad I'm a cat person.... :)
She is super cute and getting so big!
Wish I had some helpful advice, but I know nothing about dogs.

Alison said...

Growl at her. That's what her mom and sibs would have done. Also, as far as her waking you up, have you considered crate training? It worked really well for us and I hadn't thought it would, but it's like Trixie is really happy to go to bed at night. And really happy to see us in the morning. Her crate is in our room, where she can be near us.