Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Wizard of Oz Revisted

The Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorite movies. If I needed to, I could probably recite every line by heart. I've loved this movie since I was a wee lass and love it to this day. I've been known to pull it out of the cabinet on more than one occasion just to give it another watch. My fondest memories of watching this movie are from when I was a child. I'm pretty sure it was around Thanksgiving time that The Wizard of Oz would be shown on TV and I vividly remember watching it on the TV in my grandparent's bedroom while all the adults were playing cards, and occasionally we would watch it on the bigger TV in the den. 
 
I also remember when we received our first copy on VHS. It was given to us by some friends of my parents who had received a few complimentary VHS movies and every now in then while watching the VHS, the words, "Property of Warner Brothers Home Video" would pop up at the bottom of the screen. That was always annoying to me, but at the same time, I was so thankful to finally have my own copy of the movie and Justin and I wore that tape out. Justin and I also had favorite parts of the movie that we would re-enact or sing together. Our favorite of those was the scene when the Cowardly Lion has his giant solo singing, "If I were King of Forest". Those memories always bring a smile to my face. 
 
In case you didn't know, or haven't heard, as part of the 75th anniversary of the film, The Wizard of Oz has returned to the big screen for one month only. In fact, it's not only the big screen, but the biggest screen as it is being shown in IMAX 3-D. The opening was Friday, September 20. Since The Wizard of Oz is also one of Troy's favorite movies, I met up with Jackie and the kids on Monday afternoon to check it out and I'm so glad I did. 
 
Seeing the movie on the big screen brought it to life like never before. I noticed facial expression and freckles and all sorts of things that I had never noticed in the previous 100 plus times I had watched the film. Jackie and I also noticed that Toto did a little whining when Mrs. Gulch went to put him in that dreaded basket of hers and that was another thing I had never noticed before. Troy and I both would recite a line or two on occasion and, for me anyway, it was hard not to sing along with every line in the movie. Jackie and I also noticed that some of the audio was off from the way the actors lips moved and it cracked us up. 
 
I usually am not a fan of spending the money on 3D, but I enjoyed this 3D movie like I have never enjoyed a 3D movie before. It was totally worth the extra cash. One thing I noticed as well that if you tilted your head slightly, then the screen would go a little fuzzy so that was kind of annoying, but other than that, I have no complaints. I even clapped at the end of this movie and I know I've mentioned before how annoying it is to me when people clap after a movie. What can I say, I got caught up in the moment and magic of it all. 
 
Troy and I put a hurtin' on some popcorn too. I brought my refillable bucket for popcorn and It got refilled twice. Troy did most of the eating. I thought I ate a lot of popcorn, but that kiddo can out popcorn me any day. He also told me I kind of looked like Glenda the Good Witch - that was a first! It was such a fun afternoon and I really enjoyed the movie, maybe even more than I ever have before. If you are a fan of The Wizard of Oz, then I encourage you to go check it out. You will be so glad you did!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

It was AWESOME and we had a blast!! Thanks so much for going with us! I was impressed that you clapped at the end:-)

Erika said...

I may try to go see this tomorrow. I was hoping they would have some evening show times, but they are all early.
Honestly, I don't think I've ever watched the movie in its entirety...shameful I know!